Views
Helpful
Replies

Can LWAPP Support Wireless Bridging?

EE_36220
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently, I'm using 1242 APs in autonomous mode with wireless bridging function to provide wifi coverge to areas that cannot install LAN cables. (simplified configuration depicted below):

LAN ------UTP------ |1242| b/g radio ---- wireless link ----    b/g radio |1242| a radio ------ wireless link ---- a radio |1242 b/g| radio ---   wireless client

Would like to know if the 1242 APs operating in the above configuration can be changed to lightweight mode?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is all correct.

-Rob

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rsreeves1
Level 1
Level 1

Only autonomous APs can be used as workgroup bridges.  However, WGB APs can associate to lightweight APs.  Here's a good resource for more information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080905cea.shtml

-Rob

Thanks Rob,

I cannot access the reference document.

In the scenario with autonomous AP associated to lightweight APs, can the Cisco Wireless Control System Management Software be used to manage the autonomous APs? It is becasue it looks like autonomous APs have to be managed by CiscoWork Wireless LAN Solution Engine (/Express).

Tks...Eric

WGB APs can be managed by WCS the same as any other autonomous AP.  WLSE is not required.  Here's what the WCS configuration guide has to say:

Work Group Bridge (WGB) Mode

Wireless Group Bridge (WGB) mode is a special mode where an autonomous access point functions as a wireless client and connects to a lightweight access point. The WGB and its wired clients are listed as client in WCS if the AP mode is set to Bridge, and the access point is bridge capable.

To view a list of all WCS clients that are WGBs, choose Monitor > Clients. At the Show drop-down menu, choose WGB Clients and click Go. The Clients (detected as WGBs) window appears. Click a User to view detailed information regarding a specific WGB and its wired clients.

Note The WCS provides WGB client information for the autonomous access point whether or not it is managed by the WCS. If the WGB access point is also managed by the WCS, WCS provides basic monitoring functions for the access point similar to other autonomous access points.

WCS manages configs on autonomous APs simply by applying templates with lists of CLI commands, nothing fancy there.  It's mostly useful for monitoring purposes.
I've attached the PDF for the WGB config guide I referenced in my last response.
-Rob

Thanks Rob. The WGB config guide clearly explained the usage.

Would like to recap my understandings:

1. Aironet 1242 AP in autonomous mode as WGB can associately wirelessly to lightweight AP;

2. Aironet 1242 AP in lighweight mode cannot support wireless bridging as what I'm using in Autonomous mode;

3. Autonomous AP can be managed by WCS whether it is in WGB mode or not.

Thanks.

That is all correct.

-Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: