cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

call manager publisher upgrade 6.x to 7.x on a newer hardware

techguy73
Level 1
Level 1

Need some recommendations as how to go by when migrating and upgrading from cucm 6.x cluster of 4 servers to 7.x with the hardware replacement. I've got a cisco documentation that describes replacement of one or more nodes in a cluster, however it talks about the version being the same.

I wonder, can the 7.x server retreive/restore from a backup file created from the 6.x server? if not what should be the strategy to accomplish that.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Matthew Kaufman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

UCM Backups can only go exact version to exact version.  What this means is that if you're running 6.1.3.1000-16 for example, you would need to restore to 6.1.3.1000-16.  In a HW migration you have a couple options.

1. If your current publisher supports it, upgrade to the version you wish to ultimately migrate to then take backup and restore to same version on new hardware.

2. Install current version to new hardware, restore from backup then upgrade.

If the new hardware doesn't support the old version then you will need to upgrade to the highest version in the same train first before backup.  For instance, if you're on 6.1.2, upgrade to 6.1.5, then install 6.1.5 on new hardware then upgrade to 7.1.

Be sure to keep in mind that you will also need to secure the correct licenses since any time you change HW the previous licenses will become invalid since they're tied to the MAC address of your system.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Matthew Kaufman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can also use this matrix to see which software versions are compatible with which HW:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Complete Unified Communications Compatibility Docs are below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_device_support_tables_list.html

Thanks Mathew, this is helpful. 5 points for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: