Views
Helpful
Replies

Regarding IOS upgrade

tarnhundal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have two 3750 switches . One have 24 ports and other have 12 ports , I have done stacking between both of switches. Now I want to upgrade my switches with newer IOS .Now what to do. These switches are on live project. How to upgrade both switches ??

Thanks and regards,

Taran

14 Replies 14

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

I have two 3750 switches . One have 24 ports and other have 12 ports , I have done stacking between both of switches. Now I want to upgrade my switches with newer IOS .Now what to do. These switches are on live project. How to upgrade both switches ??

Thanks and regards,

Taran

Hi Taran,

In order to upgarde the switches in stack check out the below link for step by step procedure.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml#mupgrade

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

I want to know one thing that if I upgrade other models of 3750 like 3750 24 ps rather than ts then , will it work fine or not ?

Thanks

Taran

Hello Tarun,

The procedure will work for all 3750 model switches. So, you can use the same procedure for PS or TS switches. Just be aware that there will be a short downtime when you are performing the upgrade (as we have to reboot the switches). One tip when upgrading the software on the stack is to use the "/safe" option as it will ensure that the flash is loaded with the new image before old one is deleted.

"archive download-sw /safe tftp://"

If you do not have enough space in the flash, you might want to use the "/imageonly" option as that will just load the "bin" file and will not load rest of the http files. Other option you need to be aware of is "/allow-feature-upgrade" option which will be useful if you are changing the feature set i.e. upgrading from IP Base to IP Services etc.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Hi ,

I got your point.But I have one confusion here that archive command we use only in tar file upgrade not in bin . we just use tftp feature in .bin format . what u say ? and also tell me if i dont have much space for newer IOS then what should i do ? If I upgrade it with newer IOS then first I have to delete older one ? what u say ?

Thanks

Taran

Hello,

If you are just using ".bin" file, then you can do a regular "copy tftp:

flash:" procedure. You can delete the old image before loading the new one

as long as you do not reboot the switch in the middle or when it does not

have an image on it. In order to load the image to different stack members,

you can do

Copy tftp: flash1: -- For the fist switch

Copy tftp: flash2: -- For the second switch

Copy tftp: flash3: -- For the third switch

One thing we have observed is first copying the image to one switch and

copying the image from that switch to rest of the switches.

Copy tftp: flash1: -- For the fist switch

Copy flash1: flash2: -- For the second switch

Copy flash1: flash3: -- For the Third switch

Make sure that all switches have the image in the same root folder of the

flash (do not copy the images into different folder within the flash).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Hi Nagaraja,

Should I have to install different images for different switches like one switch is 24 ps and other is 12 s . it means i need to download two IOS images for that ? right ? and if there is no space then should i delete the older image then install the newer one . one more thing is that IOS is in dir rather than on flash , so i wll del with force and recursive features . right ?

Thanks

Taran

Hello,

Typically, all the switches take the same image. So, you can load the same

image and it should work fine. You can delete the old image if you do not

have enough space to load the new image. But make sure that you do not

reboot the switch until you load the new image and set the boot variable

accordingly.

Regards,

NT

HI

I have downloaded both switches IOS and seen both have same image and size and it means I can try one image any where . I wll let u know after implementation .

Thanks,

Taran

tarnhundal
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

I am facing a problem here , everytime I try to upgrade IOS then I am unable to do it and getting the error of ime out and also ack block. sometimes I got problem after completion of 99 % . but      there are few drops in IOS upgradation, now i  have erased the flash and copy the all contents like vlan.dat and others but i m getting same problem  , i have downloaded other image and also pause the antivirus protection but unable to upgrade it. plz tell me what could be the problem ??

Thanks

Taran

Hi all,

I am facing a problem here ie I tried to copy the IOS with tftp32 and cisco tftp but i m unable to copy the images. I got the error with both tftp. why this issue occurs ?

Thanks

Taran

Hello,

What is the error you are getting?

Regards,

NT

HI

The error is :

001254: Aug 22 15:02:34.323 GMT: %SYS-4-CONFIG_RESOLVE_FAILURE: System config pa
rse from (tftp://255.255.255.255/DM-sw-confg) failed

Even i have enabled service config command but still getting this error on switch and after some time tftp stops copying the file. I tried other tftp server rather cisco but not able to copy the image.

Thanks

Taran

Hello,

Have you tried issuing "no service config" on the switch? Also, that error

message should not interrupt in IOS upgrade.

Regards,

NT

HI

Sorry for late response but I already did this and same results still now. plz rectify this .

Thanks

taran

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: