Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM on Cisco 2911

acleri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we want to change our old routers with the new Cisco 2911.

We use ATM, on the cisco 2911 datasheet ATM encapsulation is supported but I can't find a document where is explained the possible ATM configurations.

Anyone can help me to get this informations?

6 Replies 6

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Here is an example:

interface atm0/0.1 point-to-point

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

pvc 1/100

protocol ip 10.10.10.2 broadcast

encapsulation aal5snap

HTH

Mohamed

Mohamed, thank you for your answer.

I bad explain my request, I'm trying to find any information about the ATM capabilities of the 2911 but on the cisco web site I simply found that they support ATM encapsulation.

What kind of ATM mode is able to support this new router?

Do you know it or do you have any usefull documentation?

Andrea

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Andrea,

I have checked the type of Modules supported on 2911, I am afrai ATM is not supported on 2900 series,

please check the available and Supported type of modules and interfaces here using Dynamci Configuration tool:

http://www.cisco.com/web/ordering/or13/or8/ordering_ordering_help_dynamic_configuration_tool_launch.html

HTH

Mohamed

Mohamed,

but on the datasheet ATM encaspulation is supported.

This does it mean that is possible to configure atm on normal E1 interface.

I don't know ATM, do you know what's the difference between having specific ATM modules and to enable ATM encapsulation on a simple E1 interface?

What kind of limitations do I have on the 2911?

Thank you.

Andrea

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Andrea,

E1 is different Module with different encapsulation type than ATM. E1 is asynchronous serial interface and the encapsulation associated with it is PPP or HDLC.

atm on the other side has different type of interfaces that supports (E3, STM1 , STM4 , STM16 and STM10) capacity and the encapsulation type is totally different that what is used in serial interfaces like E1, the encapsulation type in ATM is a telco dependant but we usually have here (aal5snap).

I have checked the Module type supported on ISR 2911, however, atm modules are not supported on this series.

The short answer is that you cant have atm encapsulation type on the serial interface.

You might also confirm it with Cisco support just to confirm...

HTH

Mohamed

The second generation (2900) does not accept more AIM modules.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/routers/1900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/aag_c07_563807.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card