meaning of command dir slavesup-bootdisk:

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

When i run the following command dir  slavesup-bootdisk:

dir  slavesup-bootdisk:
Directory of slavesup-bootdisk:/

1  -rw-    47578116   Nov 4 2007 18:51:18 -05:00  s3223-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF11.bin
    2  -rw-    50603588  Dec 14 2007 08:51:40 -05:00  s3223-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin

as per me  directory 1 and 2 show -- Current IOS  on the switch

thanks

mahesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Mahesh,

You basically have 3 filesystem formats with a SUP -

disk0: (slavedisk0:)

sup-bootdisk: (slavesup-bootdisk:)

bootflash: (slavebootflash:)

Here are the definitions of each:

disk0: = CF slot on the SUP for an external flash card

sup-bootdisk: = on-board flash for the SP (switch processor) of the SUP

bootflash: = on-board flash for the RP (route processor) of the SUP

These are 3 distinct file systems.  When a SUP crashes, we should generate a crash file from both the SP (stored in sup-bootdisk:) and the RP (stored in bootflash:).  When you store IOS images, you want to store them in either the external CF slot (disk0:, disk1:, etc.) or sup-bootdisk: as these are the file systems the SP can see when it boots up (the SP will boot first in a SUP boot-cycle).  The SP cannot see the bootflash: on the RP when booting.  The 'slave' designations are simply added on to indicate that the file systems are for the standby SUP.

Let me know if that clears it up.

Brandon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

krahmani323
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Manesh,

"dir  slavesup-bootdisk: " command lists the content of the 'slavesup-bootdisk' media.

Physically it corresponds to the CompactFlash flash memory (with its adapter) on your standby supervisor module (check image).

Just like other media you can manipulate files (download etc...) in it.

1 and 2 under the command are index of either a file (just like here) or a directory, based on their date/time.

The sup-bootdisk: or slavesup-bootdisk: depending on the supervisor module role (active or standby) are indeed usually used for the IOS storage and boot (with command "boot system flash supbootdisk:....") but it is not mandatory. You can for example store and boot the IOS on external disk: media.

Hope it helps.

Karim

Hi Karim,

So those dir 1 and 2 are IOS  imaged on the compactflash card and it is external to supe right?

so  sup-bootdisk:   means  it is active  supe and   slavesup-bootdisk   means it is standby?

thanks

mahesh

hi karim,

One more then these sup have inetrnal flash also which is inbuilt  where they can store IOS  and also we can store IOS  on external  media

as Compact flash card.?

thanks

mahesh

Hey Mahesh,

That's correct.  You can store the IOS on either the sup-bootdisk: (or slavesup-bootdisk:) or a CF slot (disk0:, disk1:, slavedisk0:, slavedisk1:, etc.).  You want to make sure that the IOS is located in one of these 2 file systems so that the SP on the SUP can see the image when booting up.  Hope this helps.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

thanks for the reply.

so when you say  CF disk0:, disk1:,   it means active supe   and  CF  slavedisk0:, slavedisk1 means external slot on standby sup?

thanks

mahesh

Hey Mahesh,

That's exactly right.  The 'slave' file designation always indicates the filesystem is part of the standby card.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

thanks for reply

what is difference bewtween  dir slavedisk0   and   dir  :  slaveboot-flash  and   slavesup-bootdisk

my understanding is dir slavedisk0  means stanby supe where IOS  is on external Cf

dir : slaveboot-flash   means standby supe where flash is inbuilt  on the supe

dir: slavesup-bootdisk    means CF  external where ios is stored

Let me know if i am right or wrong.

Thanks

Mahesh

Hey Mahesh,

You basically have 3 filesystem formats with a SUP -

disk0: (slavedisk0:)

sup-bootdisk: (slavesup-bootdisk:)

bootflash: (slavebootflash:)

Here are the definitions of each:

disk0: = CF slot on the SUP for an external flash card

sup-bootdisk: = on-board flash for the SP (switch processor) of the SUP

bootflash: = on-board flash for the RP (route processor) of the SUP

These are 3 distinct file systems.  When a SUP crashes, we should generate a crash file from both the SP (stored in sup-bootdisk:) and the RP (stored in bootflash:).  When you store IOS images, you want to store them in either the external CF slot (disk0:, disk1:, etc.) or sup-bootdisk: as these are the file systems the SP can see when it boots up (the SP will boot first in a SUP boot-cycle).  The SP cannot see the bootflash: on the RP when booting.  The 'slave' designations are simply added on to indicate that the file systems are for the standby SUP.

Let me know if that clears it up.

Brandon

Hi Brandon

thanks  for the reply

mahesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card