cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

internal to internal call question

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

I have CUCM 6.1.3 and I would like when a call is made to another internal user, that if they are on the phone, it could let the calling party know somehow that they are on the phone, like the old nortel phones used to do.  Is there a way to do this in CUCM, so that the calling party can know if they called party is on the phone or not?  Thanks in advance for the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Sure, here you can read about it:

BLF/Speed Dial Configuration Settings:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_1_1/ccmcfg/b06phone.html#wpmkr1316969

Configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_1_1/ccmfeat/fsprsnc.html#wp1152187

Hope it helps, remember to rate helpful posts.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Adrian Saavedra
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

Some ways that comes to my mind are:

a) If you have ip phones with buttons (such as 794x, 796x, 797x), you can use BLF (busy lamp field).

b) Using Cisco Attendant Console or a third party software that can monitor state of phone extensions.

c) Using Cisco Unified Personal Communicator (CUPC). You need Cisco Unified Presence Server.

Hope it helps, please rate if it does.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

Ok, B and C are not an option in this case, but Id like to ask you more about option A (BLF).  Can you elaborate some on this please?

You can use Busy Lamp Field in 2 primary ways.  The first is through the directories on the phone.  If you have basic presence (which is what BLF) is configured within the CUCM cluster, then users can see the status of other users through the missed/placed/received calls directory on the phone.  In addition, it can be seen within the corporate directory on the phone.  If you don't dial a user via one of these options then you would not see the status.

The second is BLF Speed Dial.  This is a one-to-one mapping of user to speed dial (with BLF).  This wouldn't scale for a global (internal) solution.

You could consider going with Presence server.  You could via the CUPC client see the presence/status of all of the "buddies" in your list before you call or IM then.  Presence would require licensing (depending on your current licensing model), servers, and a new application to be built and maintained.

If you have Unity or Unity Connection, you could leverage the Busy greeting option - however, if your intent is to put folks on hold then this wouldn't satisfy that requirement.  You could configure a greeting that says (example), "Hi, this is John and I'm on the phone.  Please leave a message and I'll return your call when I can".

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hello,

Sure, here you can read about it:

BLF/Speed Dial Configuration Settings:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_1_1/ccmcfg/b06phone.html#wpmkr1316969

Configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_1_1/ccmfeat/fsprsnc.html#wp1152187

Hope it helps, remember to rate helpful posts.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

Ah, but I need Presence to do this, correct?

You don't need Presence server for basic presence which is BLF for directories and/or speed dial configurations. It is built into CUCM. You do need Presence (CUPS) for advanced presence, CUPC, etc.

Sent from my iPhone

Hello Joseph,

Cisco has a more elaborated and robust presence solution called Cisco Unified Presence Server or CUPS (e.g. specialized software running on a separate hardware). CUPS sometimes is referred as presence.

Although the term presence is mentioned in the documents in my previous post, that doesn't mean you need CUPS to get basic presence capabilities in CallManager. As David has said, CallManager have a built-in basic presence feature that is configured by means of BLF/Speed dial buttons, call list and directories.

Wherever you read about presence, you must understand it as a feature that allows a user to monitor the real-time status of another user.

Hope that helps to clarify, please rate if it does.

Good luck

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: