Replies

CiscoWorks server backup

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

Currently I have LMS 2.6 and RME 4.0.6
We are going to upgrade from LMS 2.6 to 3.0.1
I am bit worrying about the data as it is very important.

Can some one explain me what measures / things i need to take care.

I am following the below process.

1. Taking total image of present CiscoWorks server
2. Then proceed to upgrade LMS 2.6 to LMS 3.0.1

Can some one help me how to take backup of present server?
Do I need to take backup of each LMS & RME or only LMS is enough.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Naidu.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The wrapper.pl script is not installed.  Yes, you can copy it off of the LMS 3.0 DVD.  That's exactly what you have to do.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to follow these instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.0/data_migration/guide/lms30_dmg.html

and

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.0/install/guide/instl.html#wp1419023

In particulat, you need to take a backup of LMS 2.6 with the wrapper.pl script.  This script will take a backup of RME, Campus, etc. as well as IPM.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for you response,

I was taking existing LMS backup on every month by scheduling backup.

CommonServices -->Server -->Backup -->

Is that fine or should i take the backup which mentioned in the CiscoWorks guide. I guess both are same but not sure.

And how much free space for C drive should I need?

As per the doc for new installation the free space should be 25Gb is it necessary for upgradation also from LMS 2.6 to LMS 3.0.1?

Because I have the freespace for now only 10 GB.

In the document I found the below points to take backup of LMS.

On LMS 3.0, the backup directory must exist before running wrapper.pl, otherwise you will see an error.

C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\bin\perl C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\dir1\wrapper.pl C:\backup

I think the above path is to create the directory which we use to take the backup with below script.

NMSROOT\bin\perl dir1\wrapper.pl BKP Logfile

in my NSMROOT, I couldn't ind wrapper.pl file

Can you please suggest me on this and how to run the above perl script on the local server.

Regards,

Naidu.

You need to take an LMS 2.6 backup with wrapper.pl.  That is the only way to take a full backup which includes IPM.  The wrapper.pl script is included on your LMS 3.x DVD.

I can't say exactly how much space will be required, because I don't know how much data you have stored in LMS.  In general, take the sum of NMSROOT/databases and NMSROOT/files, and multiply by 2.5.  That's how much space you will require.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your answer.

I searched my whole LMS server for wrapper.pl file but no luck, I could not find it.

And one more thing I dont have LMS 3.0 DVD, I have downloaded the dump (CiscoWorks_LMS3.0_Dec_2007_Update.exe) from cisco.com and trying to upgrade LMS 2.6 is this way is fine?

I searched in the LMS 3.0 dump for wrapper.pl but no luck.

Is there any aleternative to get from anywhere the wrapper.pl file?

Regards,

Naidu.

The wrapper.pl script is not installed.  Yes, you can copy it off of the LMS 3.0 DVD.  That's exactly what you have to do.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your response.

I took the whole system backup and when I started the upgradation part with the dump (lms30_dec07_update_sol_k9_1of3.zip) which I downloaded from Cisco.com

After 3 steps I got the attached error message.

Can you please look at it once and suggest me how to proceed.

REgards,
Naidu.

You need LMS 3.0 installed before you can install LMS 3.0.1.  You should have received a DVD for LMS 3.0.  You cannot download it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: