Helpful
Replies

WRV210 Configuration

hugo007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

can anyone explain me something little please:

What is the difference between running in Gateway mode (the default) or running in Router mode?

Where can I define the IP-subnet for a 2nd VLAN which I would like to use for a 2nd SSID?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Austria,

Walter H.

5 Replies 5

jagor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Walter,

Gateway Mode (default) means that router will use NAT for the traffic where as Router Mode will not. Gateway Mode should be used when it is the one hosting your network's connection to the Internet. Router mode will be used when there are also other routers on your network.

Also, the WRV210 only has port based VLANs. It does not have the feature to define a new subnet for a VLAN.

Can clients from different VLANs communicate together?

Unfortunately the WRV210 does not have inter-vlan routing capabilities that will allow traffic to pass between vlans. Other routers such as WRVS4400N and RVS4000 have this.

This is a little bit confusing;

the WRV210 has VLANs but there I can't define IP-subnets, they are all in the same subnet, how is it done, that clients from different VLANs - from the same IP-subnet - cannot communicate together?

(I have the RVS4000, that I use as my Internet Gateway; the WRV210 is only used as a WLAN extension, where I would like to define a second SSID in another VLAN so that these clients cannot communicate with clients connected to the first SSID;)

With Port Based VLANs on the WRV210, there is no VLAN tagging and so forth. It's more like telling port 1 to not talk to port 2 because they are on separate physically designated VLANs (even though on the same subnet) and that is the extent that it goes to. But with your setup, did you also want to have the 2nd SSID not talk to any wired based clients on the RVS4000 as well? If so, this setup would not work because all wireless clients would be able to talk to the wired clients and vice versa. But if you main concern is just to prevent SSID 1 from talking to SSID 2, that is doable in the VLAN page for the WRV210.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: