Views
Helpful
Replies

Transfer to Voicemail

neilobrien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

A colleague (who has since left) showed me a nice trick for setting up transfer directly to voicemail for Call Manager/Unity Connection.  It involves setting up a CTI routepoint, with a DN of #XXXX.  This DN was set to CFA to VM.  The VM Profile that was assiciated with the DN contained the VP Pilot and a mask of XXXX.

What this allowed users to do was put a # in front of any extension and go directly to their voicemail.

I can't say that I fully understand the way it works but I guess the mask strips off the # and passes the originally dialled digits to unity.

However - I'm currently setting up a CUCM BE 7.1(5)SU1a and I've set up what needs to be set up but each time I try to get directly to someone elses voicemail, unity simply asks for a PIN which brings me into my own mailbox.

I've set this up before without any issues so I'm wondering if anyone knows has something changed in this release of Untiy COnnection.  The problem with not knowing fully how it works is that I don't fully know how to troubleshoot it!  I've never had to configure any routing rules to get it to work, I'm thinking CM is not passing the correct digits to Unity?

Hope someone can help!!

Thanks in advance,

Neil

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Neil,

It sounds like you're on the right track. Here are the steps to follow.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800dea82.shtml

Although this article references older versions of CUCM/Unity, the concepts still apply. Note that the alerting/display name on the CTI route point DN should not be "Voicemail".

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Holy "Read the small print" Batman.....

"Note: Do not use the word "Voicemail" as  the Alerting Name or Display           (Internal Caller ID) for the CTI Route Point Defined. Use of the word           "Voicemail" can cause Cisco Unity to process the call as a Direct  Call, instead           of processing it as a Forwarded call"

Guess what I had as the alerting name...........

I had even read over this document, obviously not carefully enough!

Thanks for teh heads up Brandon, have a good weekend.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Neil,

Just one other note to add to the good tips from Brandon

It is usually setup as *xxxx instead of #xxxx

Cheers!

Rob

thanks Rob.

Just curious through - * or # -  is it not personal preference?  I usually use *XXX for speedial shortcodes to make up for Call Manager not having a central speeddial directory.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Neil,

Yes, the use of *(star) or #(pound) is a personal preference

for sure my friend I've always used * but either will work

as you have nicely proven here. Good work!

Cheers! Have a great weekend,

Huff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: