cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 connectivity issues

vito.nozza
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing a 5508 into an Alcatel environment.  The APs are 1131, the WLC 5508 however the client opted for Alcatel switches.  I already noticed an incompatability between switches when trying to connect fibre links.  Has anyone ever heard of these issues?  I tried configuring the mgnt port to VLAN specific only however I caannot ping it nor the default gateway when signed on via console.

Thx

2 Replies 2

Scott Pickles
Level 4
Level 4

Vito -

I've never used Alcatel switches, so I don't know what encapsulation they use for trunks.  Just remember that if you place the management interface for the 5508 into the native VLAN by specifying a tag of '0', then make sure that VLAN is also specified as the native VLAN on ALL trunks between the AP and the controller.  If an Alcatel switch uses a proprietary tagging method (like Cisco used to use ISL) where ALL frames are tagged, then you will have to specify the VLAN tag on the management interface.

If I am somehow off on what's going on here, perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by "incompatability between switches when trying to connect fibre links".

Regards,
Scott

Thx Scott. That could be the issue. I have placed both the WLC and the switch on a specific Vlan that I assigned for Management. I cannot ping the WLC.

I will do some research on the VLAN and Trunk specifics of Alcatel and see what I find.

BTW, I warned the client that the mixed platform might cause some issues.

Thx

Vito Nozza, BA, BCOM,

CISSP,CISA

Sr. Network Design Consultant

4000 Victoria Park

Toronto, Ont

t. 647.747.0417

m. 416.953.7463

e. vito.nozza@rci.rogers.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card