Easing the Pain of Repetitive Tasks in WCS

Unanswered Question
Jul 23rd, 2010

Hey All -

I normally use a custom scripted process to pre-configure all of my APs (name, location, controller IPs, channel, power, etc.).  But on occasion the names change following construction, planning, etc.  So I have been in WCS changing the names of a few APs.  I use the search bar to find my APs by name (they're prefixed with a building name identifier).  Then I choose the Configure List.  I finally sort that by AP name ascending.  The problem comes when you click on the first AP you want to change and it takes you to the AP configuration page in the same window.  Now you've essentially lost that custom list you searched for.  It would be better if such windows opened in a new one or a tab so that when we're done editing we simply close it, and I've forwarded that request to the folks at Cisco.  In the mean time, here's my workaround:

Go through the normal procedure for getting that custom list.  Now right click on the column header you want to sort by and select 'Copy Link Location'.  The page uses GET variables to send the request to WCS for what information to display.  So after you've made your changes and saved them, you could either do the sloppy 'BACK BACK' in your browser's history, or just simply paste your url back into the location bar and voila!  Your custom search has returned, showing your updated information.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Here is my custom url for searching all APs that are in the building 'MS', show ALL results (i.e. 999999), and only show me the 2.4 GHz ones (802_11b).  BTW, why does the config list return all APs and list each one twice by 2.4 and 5 GHz when clicking either link takes you to the same page?  That's why I filter my results by just the 2.4 radios to take out our duplicates for this task.

My url:

https://x.x.x.x/webacs/searchLradIfAction.do?

orderByColumn=lradIfName&

isAscending=true&

itemsPerPage=999999999&

pager.offset=0&&

searchApType=lradName&

severity=0&

timeInterval=-1&

searchRadioType=802_11b&

apText=MS&

deviceIpAddress=x.x.x.x&

campusKey=606&

buildingKey=&

outdoorKey=&

operation=configList&

operation=configList&

wcsAddress=&

support11n=false&

siCapable=false&

siEnabled=false&

searchType=All&

searchText=&

isQuickSearch=false&

controllerIpForName=x.x.x.x&

searchApByType=LWAPP&

searchByApMode=0&

officeExtendAp=false

Normally this is without line returns, but I am displaying it this way so that you can see what each of the GET parameters are.  Try creating different searches to learn what each of the parameters are.  For example, for 'searchByApMode' you see the value of '0'.  This corresponds to 'local' in the list of AP modes.  Incrementing by 1 will get you the next and so on.  I think a couple are typos on Cisco's part, unfortunately.  The parameters 'siCapable' and 'siEnabled' as you can guess really should be 'isCapable' and 'isEnabled'.  I also don't know why 'operation=configList' is in there twice, nor do I know why 'pager.offset=0' is followed by two ampersands.  Usually arguments are separated by just one each.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Scott

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content