Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the OS for Unity

Muhammad Irfan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We have Unified voice messaging system 4.2 with Exchange 2003. Both Unity servers are installed on Window 2000. Now we want to change the OS from WIndow 2000 to Window 2003. I couldnt find any procedure from cisco.com to replace the operating system.

for Unity 5.X it is given on cisco.com.

Kindly confirm me whether it is possible to change the operating system for 4.2.

Also please share me if you have any doc to upgrade the OS from 2000 to 2003 for unity 4.2. Do we have to take some precautions or just I have to take the backup and reinstall the unity on window 2003 and then restore the backup.

BR

Muhammad Irfan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For same version install, no - schema would not need to be updated again. Those updates are permanent.

Sent from my iPhone

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Windows Server 2003 is supported on the Cisco Unity server only with Cisco Unity version 4.0(4) and later. Upgrading to Windows Server 2003 on an existing Cisco Unity server is supported only when you back up Cisco Unity data by using the Cisco Unity Disaster Recovery Backup tool, reinstall all software on the Cisco Unity server, and restore Cisco Unity data by using the Cisco Unity Disaster Recovery Restore tool.

See here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge020.html for confirmation of the statement above.

In your case, you are good to go since you are on Unity 4.2.  What you'll need to do is backup the system using DiRT and then rebuild the server from scratch by first installing the new Windows OS.  You can use a commercial copy of Windows or if you have current software support then you can order the Windows OS upgrade kit for Unity from the Cisco website using the PUT tool (Product Upgrade Tool).

Once you have installed the new OS, you can proceed with reinstalling Unity 4.2 all the way up to the exact version and ES that is currently on your system today.  If you aren't sure, you can use the Gather Unity System Tools Info (GUSI) tool in Tools Depot to collect version and ES information prior to install.  This is key because you can only restore a DiRT backup to EXACT same version of Unity as the system that was backed up. Once you are restored to the same ES, you then use DiRT to restore the backup of the system onto the freshly rebuilt server.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thank you Hailey,

Ok just quick question, do I have to re-update the schema on AD.

BR

Muhammad Irfan

For same version install, no - schema would not need to be updated again. Those updates are permanent.

Sent from my iPhone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: