Connecting to console port.

Answered Question
Jul 24th, 2010

I have a newer laptop and PC without the connector for the DB-9 end of the blue Cisco cable. I've seen a USB cable with a male DB-9 end that looks as if it would work but I thought I'd post as someone may have a better answer. Again, I have the correct Cisco cable but it looks as if newer PC/laptops don't have the necessary COM port. Thank you.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by johuggin about 6 years 4 months ago

Kendalle01,

You should be fine  with a USB to male DB-9. This is a very common workaround for those  without available COM ports on their machines. When you use these, your  PC or Laptop will most likely recognize it as a virtual COM port. Therfore, your  terminal software won't skip a beat and shouldn't require any further configuration or tinkering.

As far as finding one that works with your PC or laptop, be sure to read some reviews online before making any purchases to make sure you don't have any issues with your terminal software.

Hope this is helpful!

-Joe

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
johuggin Sat, 07/24/2010 - 15:47

Kendalle01,

You should be fine  with a USB to male DB-9. This is a very common workaround for those  without available COM ports on their machines. When you use these, your  PC or Laptop will most likely recognize it as a virtual COM port. Therfore, your  terminal software won't skip a beat and shouldn't require any further configuration or tinkering.

As far as finding one that works with your PC or laptop, be sure to read some reviews online before making any purchases to make sure you don't have any issues with your terminal software.

Hope this is helpful!

-Joe

Actions

This Discussion