Authorized Self-Study Guide vs Official Exam Certification Guide?

Answered Question
Jul 24th, 2010

Cisco press publications have always released two versions of their books - Authorized Self-Study Guide and Official Exam Certification Guide. I'm confused as to which of the two I should purchase to prepare for the exam in the best possible way.

As far as I know, the Authorized Self-Study Guide has a lot more pages and seems to cover topics more thoroughly....but the Official Exam Certification Guide has lots of practice questions and seems to cover key exam topics in a consise and efficient manner.

I recently passed ICND1 and ICND2 and will be launching myself into CCNP BCMSN. Any recommendations on which book I should purchase?

Thanks in advance

Aaron

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Todd Pula about 6 years 5 months ago

As you stated, the Authorized Self-Study Guides are typically used for your initial exam preparation.  The topics are usually covered in greater detail.  The Exam Certification Guides are more often used towards the end of your preparation in order to confirm your understanding of the topics.  My personal preference is the Authorized Self-Study Guides.

Todd

CCIE #19383

Overall Rating: 3 (2 ratings)
aarontrib Mon, 07/26/2010 - 03:50

Thanks for the reply Reza,

I'm aware of the old exams expiring this month - but as an Academy student, I have till July 31st 2011 to give the old exams according to Cisco. I have picked a path to CCNP which involves doing BCMSN and have plenty of time to prepare for it and give it.

So back on topic, what do you recommend? Authorized Self-Study Guide or Official Exam Certification Guide?

Aaron

Correct Answer
Todd Pula Mon, 08/02/2010 - 10:33

As you stated, the Authorized Self-Study Guides are typically used for your initial exam preparation.  The topics are usually covered in greater detail.  The Exam Certification Guides are more often used towards the end of your preparation in order to confirm your understanding of the topics.  My personal preference is the Authorized Self-Study Guides.

Todd

CCIE #19383

Actions

This Discussion