What kind of log I can get with "level informational" - c2950 & 6500

Answered Question
Jul 25th, 2010
User Badges:

Hello, everybody, It is nice to meet you. I am working in Tokyo in japan as network engineer.
It is my first time to write something on here Cisco Support Community and I don't speak English very well.
So I hope everyone understand my pour question and writing. But I wish somebody anwser to this question.

I am using kiwi sever to manage four of 6500 and about thirty of c2950.
The kiwi server is working normally logging both 6500's syslog and c2950's.

But I have question about difference between 6500's level informational and c2950's.

For example, When I log in 6500 I can get a log from my kiwi server.

And When I enter some command to change config I can also get a log from my kiwi server.

However When it come to c2950 I can't get the logs. I can only get logs that notice 'interface up/down' or 'changed config' stuff like that.

I think I have correct config about logging both 6500 and c2950 as follow.

Trap logging: level informational, OOOOO message lines logged
        Logging to XX.XX.XX.XX, OOOOO message lines logged, xml disabled,
               filtering disabled

Anybody know what kind of log I can get with "level informational" on c2950.

Thanks everybody.

Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 6 years 10 months ago

Information is a fairly low severity which means you'll get everything except debugging messages.  This includes link up/down, config change,

CPU hog, etc.  If you're not seeing messages other than link up/down and config change, then there may not be anything else happening on the switch which triggers a log message.  Check the output of "show log".  That should agree with your syslog logs.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Sun, 07/25/2010 - 14:24
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Information is a fairly low severity which means you'll get everything except debugging messages.  This includes link up/down, config change,

CPU hog, etc.  If you're not seeing messages other than link up/down and config change, then there may not be anything else happening on the switch which triggers a log message.  Check the output of "show log".  That should agree with your syslog logs.

Actions

This Discussion