Views
Helpful
Replies

TenGigabitEthernet vs TwinGig converter

darany111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a 2 Cat 4510-E each of them has 2 supervisor Engines. They are linked thru 20Gig etherchannel link. Sw1-Te5/1 to Sw2-Te5/1 and Sw1-Te6/1 to Sw2-Te6/1. I convert SW2-Te5/2 into TwinGig and insert 2 SFPs. Then I use the command hw-module module 5 port-group 2 select gigabitethernet to switch from TenGig to Gig. But the port does not come up. When I issue the command Show hw-module module 5 port-group I can see that the port-group 2 is inactive. Would you please give me a clue on how to activate the port?

Your help is greatly appreciated

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are your Sups 6-E or 6L-E?

Reza

Thanks Reza. I am sorry I forgot to mention that. It is Supervisor Engine 6E

Yes, it is defiantly supported in you sup.  I am actually using the TwinGig converter in a couple 3750s and it works just fine without any additional command.  One thing I have noticed about TwingGig converters and that they are not very secure when inserted into the module.  Can you physically check to make sure the converter is all the way in?

HTH

Reza

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does "show inventory" reveal that the converter module has been recognized by the IOS?

Echoing the earlier reply, reseating may be in order.

Thank you Mklemovitch. Yes a show inventory display both the converter module and the SFPs 1000BaseSX

NAME: "Linecard(slot 5)", DESCR: "Supervisor 6-E 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP) with 2 10GE X2 ports"
PID: WS-X45-SUP6-E     , VID: V07  , SN: JAE1352SP49

NAME: "TenGigabitEthernet5/1", DESCR: "10Gbase-LX4"
PID: X2-10GB-LX4       , VID: V04  , SN: HCT13430363

NAME: "Converter 5/2", DESCR: "Converter Module"
PID: CVR-X2-SFP        , VID: V01  , SN: CAT114052ST

NAME: "GigabitEthernet5/5", DESCR: "1000BaseSX"
PID: Unspecified       , VID:      , SN: FNS13460USU

NAME: "GigabitEthernet5/6", DESCR: "1000BaseSX"
PID: Unspecified       , VID:      , SN: FNS13460TAR

I also changed the Fiber cable  and made sure the trunk config between the switches in accurate. But I still do not have a link.

Thank you.

I suspect I know what's going on here. I ran into this on a 4900M.

When you want to use a mix of 10 GE X2 and GE SFPs using Twin-gig converters, you are limited to doing one or the other in a given port group which is serviced by a single stub ASIC internal to the switch. This limitation is referred to in the 4500 configuration guide. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/52sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1084402 .

That particular documentation cite doesn't specifically address the Supervisor 6-E but I suspect that you can only do 10 GE (one or two X2's) or 1 GE (up to four using Twin-Gig converters and SFPs) in a given Catalyst 4500 Supervisor 6-E module.

I'm unable to confirm this in the documenttion, but the TAC should be able to do so for you.

You need to configure shared-backplane mode to allow for all 4 uplink ports to be active at once and reboot.  Command Syntax here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1102563

-Matt

I hope that fixes the OP's issue. I note that the reference you cited says:

"you can deploy (1) all 4 10-Gigabit Ethernet  ports, (2) 2 blocking ports on an active supervisor engine and 2  blocking ports on the standby supervisor engine, or (3) all 8 Gigabit  Ethernet SFP ports, 4 on the active supervisor and 4 on the standby  supervisor engine."

(emphasis addded)

It does not say that one can deploy a mix of 10 GE and 1 GE SFPs.

On the sup6-e though there's two port groups, one for each 10 gig port, allowing you to configure them as you wish since there's a stub asic for each port So as long as you have shared backplane mode configured to activate all 4 ten gig ports you are good to go. 

-Matt

I configured Shared backplane on the switch. The result is I have now 1 port-group instead of two. This means that I dont have a separate port-group to configure as Twingig. Then end result is I will not be able to get a Tengig port and a Twingig working at the same time on the same SupE 6-E.

Am I right?

Yes thats correct.

(1) all 4 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports,or

(2) 2  blocking ports on an active supervisor engine and 2 blocking ports on  the standby supervisor engine, or

(3) all 8 Gigabit Ethernet SFP ports, 4  on the active supervisor and 4 on the standby supervisor engine.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1102563

Hope that helps.

JayaKrishna

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco