Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend LANs

205000jag
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have 2 sites(A and B) in london and are merging into one site A. Switches from the site B will be reconfigure for site A subnet. We are also extending site A from 3rd floor to 5th floor.

we are using 10.9.1.x in site A. Plan is to use fibre channel for 3rd and 5th floor switch connections. Its my first time, does any one please explian how fibre channel will work, is it some thing 3rd party will come and carry out the work for fibre communication? at the end I will plug the cables in Cisco GE SFP, LC connector SX transceiver GLC-SX-MM in these connectors.???

We have total 5 sites using MPLS cloud, for the new 5th floor in site A if we want to use another subnet 10.91.1.x for IP phones can we use it? will it be another VLAN? with one gateway?

Please can any explain about extended LANS's /VLAN, help would be highly appreciated.

Regards

Jag

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

EtherChannel is a technology where you "bind" a minimum of two (and a maximum of eight) links of the same speed and duplex into one link.  This technology is beneficial if you are talking about load balancing and redundancy.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

Thanks for the info leo,

So for fibre connection, is it some thing a 3rd part i.e. phone communication involved for the connection from 3rd floor to 5th floor, or is it I/we have to take the wire/fibre connection upstairs?

Could also please advice my other question/ confusions

Regards

Jag

You'll need to engage a 3rd party cable contractor to run cables (fibre optic or copper) from one floor to another.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card