NSS 324 / 326 Performance Specs?

Unanswered Question
Jul 26th, 2010
User Badges:

After digging and searching through all the documents I could find (and online support), I have not been able to find any performance specs on the new NSS 324/326 devices.  So far Cisco has only sent me the generic links that show what's inside the NASes.

What I'm looking for is read/write performance on a gig network.  Both multiple small and very large files.

Our current NASes are lucky to get 10MB/sec (five years ago that was blazing), but now these devices should be approaching the 100MB/sec.  No online reviews has anything like this yet.

Anyone have one of these on your network?  If a person is sitting behind a Windows based PC, what are your realistic transfer rates?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
holkobe Sun, 08/08/2010 - 18:09
User Badges:

I have a 4-bay NSS-324 with 4 x Western Digital Black FASS 2TB drives in a single RAID5. I am using one of the GigE connections into a home-standard Linksys Gig switch.

Copying a bunch of large files all the same size (250MB each) several times I have seen it get as high as 650mbps, this was from a Windows 2008 virtual machine running on ESXi. That's as high as I have seen it go, more "usual" speeds seem to be around 300-500mbps.

Backing up a similar virtual machine with native Windows 2008 backup it averaged around 250mbps

In comparison the Lacie-2Big that the NSS is replacing seems completely incapable of going beyond 180mbps.

I doubt you will ever see 100MBps (800mbps).