cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCME and CUCM Licensing

Trying tobeone
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know how to register the licenses ordered for IP Phones to be registered and uploaded

in to CUCME and CUCM.

I searched a lot of documents but cant find out a proper answer. Could someone help me out on this issue, as I am having 2 projects, 1 with CUCME and 1 with CUCM. The customer have ordered for Licenses, but i dont know how to register it.

Please help

3 Replies 3

benjaminwatt
Level 5
Level 5

For CUCM:

To upload the license files, in the CUCM admin site go to:

System > Licensing > License File Upload

To check the resulting totals of licenses available go to:

System > Licensing > License Unit Report

And to work out how many licenses will be used up by devices, or to see how many are already being used by devices go to:

System > Licensing > License Unit Calculator.

Not sure about CUCME, but I imagine it's pretty similar.

hi...thanks for the reply...

but my main doubt is, is it required to go to cisco.com site and register all the ip phones online with there MAC addresses and get the license file or it will be included with the IP phone??

No, the whole process really is what I've written above. The license file is purchasesd from Cisco, but once you have that file there is no further involvement with Cisco, it's all done on the CUCM.

You license the CUCM to accept a certain number of devices, and then as  you add phones to the CUCM the license totals will go down.

The licenses are in units. So say you apply a license file that contains 1000 units. If you look in the License Calculator, it will tell you how many units each type of phone would use up.

Every time you add a phone (or sometimes a feature such as Mobility) it will use up a certain number of units as shown in the Calculator, and if you ever remove that phone later (say because it needs replaced because of a fault or for a newer model), the units are returned. So for example, a Cisco 7945 IP phone takes up 4 units each, whereas a 7975 uses up 5 units each.

Once you run out of units it won't let you add any more phones until you either remove some devices to get the units back, or you apply more units.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: