Views
Helpful
Replies

N1kv installation questions

stephane.clavel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering how I could set some parameters like Domain ID, packet & control vlans on VEMs. I must have missed it in Cisco documents, any help appeciated.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

stephane.clavel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I can't find answer to another question: how should I proceed to map a port-group to an uplink port-group ? I plan to have 2 uplink port-group on the N1kv, 1 is running 2x1GE port-channel and the other 2x10GE port-channel, I'd like to put given traffic on a given Upg.

thanks

tobiasdreyer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Stephane,

the configuration of the VEMs is done by the VSM. The VSM exports the necessary information, like domain ID and packet + control VLANs to the vCenter in the opaque data after the first installation. Then you can download an extention (small XML file) from the vServer or the VSM (just enter IP address of the VSM in a browser).

In the Deployment guide it is explaind like this:

The domain ID of the Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switch is defined when the VSM is first installed and becomes part of the opaque data that is transmitted to VMware vCenter Server.

Opaque Data

Opaque data is a collection of Cisco Nexus 1000V Series configuration parameters that is maintained by the VSM and VMware vCenter Server when the link between the two is established. The opaque data contains configuration details that each VEM needs to establish connectivity to the VSM during VEM installation.
Among other content, the opaque data contains:

• Switch domain ID

• Switch name

• Control and packet VLAN IDs

• System port profiles

When a new VEM comes online, either after initial installation or upon restart of a VMware ESX host, it is essentially an unprogrammed line card. To be correctly configured, the VEM needs to communicate with the VSM. VMware vCenter Server automatically sends the opaque data to the VEM, which the VEM uses to establish communication with the VSM and download the appropriate configuration data.

On the 2nd question:

It is not possible to do a direct mapping between port-groups and uplink-groups. The design of the uplinks depends on the capabilities of the upstream switches. If they can be clusteres like the Nexus 5000 or two 6500 in a VSS you can use vPC, if they can not be clustered you can use vPC-HM.
You will find further information in the Deployment Guide 2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: