WLC 4400 and guest email address capture

Unanswered Question
Jul 26th, 2010

I know i've seen something on this somewhere, but i can't find it now.  I've got a client with a WLC 4400 series and WCS that wants to setup a public guest wireless access network.  They want to have the users put in their email address to authenticate and they want to capture the email addresses to use for marketing campaigns.  I know you can setup the login page to have them put in their email address, but i can't remember if you have to use an external web server to actually capture and record the email addresses.  If someone can provide some insight and possibly an example, i would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Scott J.

I have this problem too.
1 vote
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Andrew Betz Fri, 08/13/2010 - 13:15

Hey Scott.

Great question.  I believe you're probably referring to the Web Passthrough with Email Input functionality on the WLC (WLAN --> Security --> Layer 3).  With this functionality enabled, the WLC will send a RADIUS accounting packet to your RADIUS server with the following information when the user inputs their email address, and clicks accept:

User-Name (attribute 1 - this will be the username unless it's passthrough in which case it is the mac or email entered)
Nas-Port (attribute 5 = x1d = 29 (if LAG))
Nas-Ip-Address (attribute 4 = ip of WLC in dotted decimal)
Framed-IP-Address (attribute 8 = ip of NIC in dotted decimal)
Class attribute (attribute 25 if that was sent by the radius-server)
NAS-Identifier (attribute 32 = WLC name)
Vendor-specific (attribute 26 = the Airespace-WLAN-Id from the WLC - the number)
Acct-Session-Id (attribute 44)
Acct-Authenticate (attribute 45)
Acct-Status-Type (attribute 40)
Tunnel-Type (attribute 64)
Tunnel-Medium-Type (attribute 65)
Tunnel-Private-Group-Id (attribute 81)
Calling-Station-ID (attribute 31 = NIC ip address in dotted-decimal)
Called-Station-ID (attribute 30 = WLC ip address in dotted-decimal)
The Called-Station-ID default format is the WLC ip address but depending on how it is configured in the WLC Security main screen, may be the WLC or AP mac address such as 00-11-22-33-44-55-66

Hope this helps!
Drew
Scott Jones Mon, 08/16/2010 - 06:21

That does help...i'm not a web developer by any stretch of the imagination, but if they decide to go that route, i think that will help.  Is

there any actual documentation covering it in more detail?  I'm focusing on voice (hope to have my voice CCIE by this time next year) so

anything else i come across tends to disappear quickly from my memory...thanks again.

Andrew Betz Mon, 08/16/2010 - 07:07

Scott,

Glad to hear!  We have a great doc within the Custom Web Authentication Template package that explains this feature in detail.  It can be found here:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/DownloadCart.x?imageGuId=7A2F6E79BAE4EFF389E1FA95D96936027AD30AE8

Also, be sure to reference our basic configuration example:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008067489f.shtml

Take Care,

Drew

Andrew or anyone else from Cisco

the link mentioned above by andrew

Glad to hear! We have a great doc within the Custom Web Authentication Template package that explains this feature in detail. It can be found here:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/DownloadCart.x?imageGuId=7A2F6E79BAE4EFF389E1FA95D96936027AD30AE8

sounds of great interest to me in my current effort to design a solution which permits tracking of guest username and the IP address assigned to that guest

however it seems to be no longer avauilable or on restricted access - perhaps an updates link or alternative source is available?

Nicolas Darchis Tue, 11/02/2010 - 23:55

Not unless you explain what your issue is and maybe you should create a new discussion for your own issue ?

Nicolas

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network