Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace WAAS Appliance - Best Practice to Minimise Outage

bradleyordner
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have two WAE-612 WaaS Appliances. My primary device has hard drive faults and chassis problems and is being replaced.

Was wondering if anyone knows the best way to remove it without causing a distruption. After reading on Cisco it says removing

WCCP on the routers is the best way to go. Although I would like my secondary Waas to continue to acclerate traffic during the replacement, and removing WCCP would cause the routers to stop redirecting to both appliances.

If I remove one appliance from the WCCP List will any current connections be dropped/disconnected?

Thanks for your time,

Brad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

We'd recommend if possible that you take a WAE out of a WCCP farm during off peak hours to minimize the interruption.  Clients with active connections through a WAE that is removed from the WCCP farm will have their connections reset/ disconnected.

For more details, see the configuration guide section on configuring WCCP which talks about adding and removing WAEs from a WCCP farm (see the last two paragraphs before the configuring IP access lists on a router section).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v421/configuration/guide/traffic.html#wp1041613

If you want to leave your other WAE in the WCCP farm while performing the replacement just issue the command no wccp version 2 on the WAE you are replacing.  Once it is removed from the farm all new TCP flows will be redirected to your other WAE.

Cheers,

Mike Korenbaum

Cisco WAAS PDI Help Desk

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

We'd recommend if possible that you take a WAE out of a WCCP farm during off peak hours to minimize the interruption.  Clients with active connections through a WAE that is removed from the WCCP farm will have their connections reset/ disconnected.

For more details, see the configuration guide section on configuring WCCP which talks about adding and removing WAEs from a WCCP farm (see the last two paragraphs before the configuring IP access lists on a router section).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v421/configuration/guide/traffic.html#wp1041613

If you want to leave your other WAE in the WCCP farm while performing the replacement just issue the command no wccp version 2 on the WAE you are replacing.  Once it is removed from the farm all new TCP flows will be redirected to your other WAE.

Cheers,

Mike Korenbaum

Cisco WAAS PDI Help Desk

Excellent I will try this.

Thans for your help.

Brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: