Helpful
Replies

Dial on demand

saurabh joshi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

Just stuck in providing solution.

Having two 1841 with parallel point-to-point serial links.

Third  BRI/ISDN link.

Requirement : Serial-1 should be used as primary and in case of serial-1 fails serial-2 should take over and in case both serial goes down BRI should dial out and go through.

Please help m just clueless.

Thanks in Advance.

Saurabh Joshi

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Saurabh

There is a simple solution assuming that the serial links are strict point to point interfaces (such as HDLC or PPP). It may be more complex if they are something like Frame Relay.

I would suggest configuring a primary static route specifying the next hop of serial-1, configure a floating static specifying the next hop of serial-2, and another floating static (with even higher distance) specifying the next hop of the BRI. It might look something like this:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 240

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 250

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have this in my mind already.

The problem is the BRI should dian only in case both the serial link goes down.

Like a Back-up dialer interface.

Thanks for the reply.

Saurabh

And if you configure as I suggest you will get the result that BRI only dials if both serial links are down.

In normal operation the static route with no weight is used. If serial-1 goes down then that static route is removed from the route table and the static route with weight 240 is used (traffic is on serial-2). If serial-1 is down and then serial-2 goes down then that static route with weight 240 is removed from the route table and the static route with weight 250 is used.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ok thanks i will give shot to it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card