Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - RIP Redistribution

paxpaw0202
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I would like some advice on how to redistribute routes into a MPLS WAN which is fully managed by our service provider (BT IP Converge).

I have been informed that the service provider runs BGP over the MPLS WAN and I would like to advertise STATIC and RIP routes into the WAN from our HUB site.

We use Catalyst 3750 switches with routing enabled at our HUB site.

Please could someone explain what configuration is required on the 3750 switches to redistribute RIP and STATIC routes into the WAN.

And / Or the changes that our service provide will need to perform on the Managed CE router at our HUB site to accept updates from the Catalysts switches.

Thanks and regards

Paul

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

paxpaw0202 wrote:

Hi

I would like some advice on how to redistribute routes into a MPLS WAN which is fully managed by our service provider (BT IP Converge).

I have been informed that the service provider runs BGP over the MPLS WAN and I would like to advertise STATIC and RIP routes into the WAN from our HUB site.

Please could someone explain what configuration is required on the 3750 switches to redistribute RIP and STATIC routes into the WAN.

And / Or the changes that our service provide will need to perform on the Managed CE router at our HUB site to accept updates from the Catalysts switches.

Thanks and regards

Paul

Paul

If the CE is managed by BT easiest thing would be to run RIP with them, redistribute any statics you have on the 3750's into RIP and then let them redistribute RIP into BGP.

If BT won't do that, and BT can be a bit "funny" sometimes, then you will need the Advanced IP services image on your 3750 to run BGP, you will need to peer with the CE router using IBGP and then redistribute your routes into BGP on the 3750.

The first option is much better and BT should be able to turn on RIP on the CE router. We had an MPLS network with BT as well but the difference was we managed the CEs so we did the BGP advertisements ourselves.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

paxpaw0202 wrote:

Hi

Thanks and regards

Paul

Paul

If the CE is managed by BT easiest thing would be to run RIP with them, redistribute any statics you have on the 3750's into RIP and then let them redistribute RIP into BGP.

If BT won't do that, and BT can be a bit "funny" sometimes, then you will need the Advanced IP services image on your 3750 to run BGP, you will need to peer with the CE router using IBGP and then redistribute your routes into BGP on the 3750.

The first option is much better and BT should be able to turn on RIP on the CE router. We had an MPLS network with BT as well but the difference was we managed the CEs so we did the BGP advertisements ourselves.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card