external calls

Unanswered Question
Jul 27th, 2010

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Scenario: Two remote sites have VoIP enabled. Both sites can make free calls via WAN. My question is: How does user make external calls? My understanding is the only way out is by using the FXO to connect to the PSTN, is it correct?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
paulheilmeier Tue, 07/27/2010 - 08:49

you need a connecton to a pstn provider  E1,T1 (Pri) or S0 (bri) or FXO or over IP like SIP.

If you have this connection you need a dial-peer on the voice gateway or route pattern at the cucm (like "dial 9 or 0 for pstn access").

paulheilmeier Tue, 07/27/2010 - 09:01

Legally no ;-)

The SIP connection is only a other leg to your pstn service provider.

In germany we have some pstn service provider, who are offer there service over pri, bri, fxo/s or sip, the charge is similar the same.

zappo0305 Tue, 07/27/2010 - 09:21

I see. Thanks

So VoIP doesnt have much benefits except you can make free internal calls over the WAN link and better managment of the voip phones (no need ro relocate the phones, etc. Correct?

paulheilmeier Tue, 07/27/2010 - 09:47

and you don't need extra hardwarecontrollers (i.e e1/t1-vwics) if you use ip-trunks.

This Discussion