cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

looking for info on the NPE-G2 integrated GigE port performance.

MARTIN LAUB
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  I'm  building a 7206 VXR NPE-G2 and I'm not sure whether I should add PA-GE adapters or I can use the integrated GigE ports.  I'm using multiple VRFs (VRF lite), BGP (50K entries), VoIP and CoS extensively including traffic shaping, CBFWQ, LLQ so I want to make sure there are no performance limitations.  The overall traffic throughput is about 400 Mbps.  I will appreciate some advice on this configuration.

Thank you !

Martin

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Martin,

given the C7200 architecture I recommend you to use the integrated GE ports rather then additional GE PAs, you can better performance with NPE-G2 built-in ports.

I can say that I have tested years ago NPE-G1 and it was able to move 500 Mbps per direction between two built-in GE ports.

NPE-G2 is declared capable of twice pps.

>> VoIP and CoS extensively including traffic shaping, CBFWQ, LLQ

the device is still a SW based router so the more features you add the less perfomance you get.

I would say that unless VOIP means also voice gateway functions you should be fine with hierarchical QoS (parent shaper policy that invokes a child CBWFQ with LLQ) or you have a great quota of small voip packets again it would be a problem as performance limit is actually in terms of packets per second rather then traffic aggregate.

again official data are 2 Mpps with no features.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe, so aside of performance can I assume that the same IOS features supported on the PA-GE ports are also available on the integrated GE ports ?

Thanks

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: