Views
Helpful
Replies

Turning a 3560-24 port into a 48 port switch

mark.kwong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if this is even possible? If it is possible, can I assign static mac address to route the other switch? For example:  If dest mac address matches A:B:C:D:E:F, send it to port 38.  So if Port 2 receives this packet, it will be routed to port 38. 

Sounds simple enough, but i'm not sure if I can do this.

Thanks,

Mark

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is simpler if you don't.  A switch does this by default.  If the switch receives a packet it will initially send all the packets to all interface (except where it came from).  It will note down what interface receives it.  The next time a packet with the same destination arrives, the switch will look up the table and say, yes, I know who this guy is and sends it down the appropriate interface.

For my application, I MUST use static mac address using the "mac address-table static" command.  

If that is the case, is it still possible?

Thanks,

Mark

Unfortunately, not with a 3560. With a 3750, you can use the stackwise functionality to turn two physical switches into one logical switch, and can easily statically map mac-addresses exactly as you stated.

Hope that helps,

Bobby

I've seen a "stunt" like this.  It was because the server has a paid application and the registration key is based on MAC address.  The easiest way for us to do is to over-ride the default MAC address of the server with a static one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card