cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3phase or single phase wiring for Nexus 7010 power supplies

IT Operation
Level 1
Level 1

We just purchased a Nexus 7010 switch and we are at a stand still with our COLO trying to figure out what power source should be provided.  APC recommends a 50amp 3phase vertical cabinet PDU (AP7867).  What type of power source\breakers will be sufficient in handling the Nexus 7k /w (3) power supplies?  Do the COLO need to provide single phase or 3 phase power recepticals?

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on the power supply.  You can use 16A or 24A with NEMA L6-20 type of connector.

Have a look at this doc for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/ps9512/Data_Sheet_C78-437761.html

HTH

Reza

We are plugging each input from (3) power supplies into (2) APC Pdu's.

Joe Silver
Level 1
Level 1

Chris,

What type and model PDU did you end up choosing? We are at a point where we need to select a PDU for a 7010 and looked at the APC model you posted but are undecided since the plug for that PDU is for a 50amp ciruit.  Obviously not suited for a single chassis where we only need 20amp ciruits for the 3 power supplies @ 6kw each.

Joe

Joe,

I will send you detailed info of what I implemented later this evenin when I get home.

Joe,

We deployed an APC PDU for our Nexus 7010.  We have all 3 power supplies installed dual connections from each power supply connecting to 2 APC's (AP7867A).  Each output connection is 20 single phase but the input power source is 40Amp 3 Phase.  Input connectors are California CS8365 Plug type.  Our datacenter is on the east coast but they didn't have any problem provisioning these California style connectors.  Haven't done any statistical analysis as of yet in reference to ROI, being that Colo Datacenters charge by Current usage.  Higher the Voltage, lower the Current .  I actually documented this design.  It's attached.

Thanks for the diagram Chris.  What is a California connector? Also what power cord part# did you use with the Nexus to plug into the APC PDU?  We ordered  Part# CAB-AC-C6K-TWLK but I believe that will not work with the APC PDU.  Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Joe

You have to use C20 to C19 cables from 7k to PDU. California connector (CS8365) is the end connector on the PDU. This may be standard for 50 amp PDU. Not the standard L6-20 that we are use too. Not a big deal. Electricians and datacenter are familiar with this connector.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card