Views
Helpful
Replies

Very difficult issue to solve with RV042

douglas.nandi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

In my company we have one RV042 used to switch to WANs. When WAN1 fail, the WAN2 assumes.

In resume:

All is ok until here. But both WAN1 and WAN2 are LANs that have an specific range in IP address and one getaway each to the internet. The problem is: I want to access the LAN of WAN1 even when I use the WAN2 internet.

Detailed:

A - RV042 - Network 192.168.1.XXX (IP:192.168.1.1)

Smart Link Backup

Primary WAN: WAN1

Enable Network Service Detection: TRUE

When Fail: REMOVE THE CONNECTION

X - Router on WAN1 - Network 172.30.1.XXX (IP:172.30.1.1)

(I can't access this network when I use the WAN2, but I need)

Y - Router on WAN2 - Network 172.30.3.XXX (IP:172.30.3.1)

(I can't access this network when I use the WAN1, but I need)

Thanks for help.

3 Replies 3

syed.raza
Level 1
Level 1

its better if you can share a diagram of the setup. Just a quick concern: why dont you have routing between the two WANs. all you need is a router with legs in each WAN and the correct routing.

share a diagram to better understand the situation.

Regards

Syed

Thanks for helping Syed!! The problem is: I don't want to use the load balance, I want to use only one WAN at a time. When the WAN1 fail, the WAN2 assumes and I loss the connection with the LAN 172.30.1.XXX. And vice-versa.

Dear,

Is this not exactly what you have configured on RV042

A - RV042 - Network 192.168.1.XXX (IP:192.168.1.1)

Smart Link Backup

Primary WAN: WAN1

Enable Network Service Detection: TRUE

When Fail: REMOVE THE CONNECTION

The above line says if WAN1 and WAN2 are avaiable WAN1 is active..................rite?

when WAN1 fails, remove WAN1 ( which is a subnet) so u cannot communicate with WAN1.

since WAN1 has failed WAN2 became active so you can communicate with it.

IS THAT CORRECT?

what if i say you remove everything from your RV042 and simply connect 3 subnets wan1, wan2 and the 192.168.x.x subnet. i am sure you problem will go away. u wll be able to communicate to all 3 rgadless of which wan has failed.

the logic for primary and backup wan links should be in the default routes towards each internet connection.

let say you have 2 default routes to the internet

route 1 : 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0. via wan link 1 priority 100

route 2: 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 via wan link 2 priority 200

if you have the above in the RV042 what will happen that wan link1 will be primary; if it fails wan link 2 will start working. when wan link 1 resumes it will again become primary and wan link 2 will become secondary.

hope this helps.

Regards

syed

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card