cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 and 4500 Ether-channel load balancing

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

How can I find out if my load balancing is truly balancing the load across my links? In other words how can I see the traffic load on each of the links in the channel?

Mike

4 Replies 4

Hi Burley,

The below chart show the Ether-Channel load balancing.

Number of Ports in the EtherChannel

Load Balancing

1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1

2:1:1:1:1:1:1

2:2:1:1:1:1

2:2:2:1:1

2:2:2:2

3:3:2

4:4

But to check real time traffic i suggest you to use SNMP ( Bandwidth monitoring for those switch ports )

It can give you good report that any command line in switch.

Regard

Chetan Kumar

http://chetanress.blogspot.com

Thanks for the chart, I did already look at that. I was checking to see if there was a coomand that would give me some indication as to the load on each of the links.

Mike

Mike

What if you just look at each interface to see the load/packets transmitted and received. Would that not tell you how it was load-balancing the traffic across the links ? You could clear the counters to get a base to start with.

One other thing - what does "sh etherchannel load-balance" show ? From memory i don't think it shows what you want but can't remember to be honest.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious....some times I wonder about my mind and over thinking the obvoius....

As for the command   sh etherchannel load-balance   it just show what Load Balancing method is in use.

I cleared the counters and I will check later.

Thanks for your Help Jon.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco