cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 and 4500 Ether-channel load balancing

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

How can I find out if my load balancing is truly balancing the load across my links? In other words how can I see the traffic load on each of the links in the channel?

Mike

4 Replies 4

Hi Burley,

The below chart show the Ether-Channel load balancing.

Number of Ports in the EtherChannel

Load Balancing

1:1:1:1:1:1:1:1

2:1:1:1:1:1:1

2:2:1:1:1:1

2:2:2:1:1

2:2:2:2

3:3:2

4:4

But to check real time traffic i suggest you to use SNMP ( Bandwidth monitoring for those switch ports )

It can give you good report that any command line in switch.

Regard

Chetan Kumar

http://chetanress.blogspot.com

Thanks for the chart, I did already look at that. I was checking to see if there was a coomand that would give me some indication as to the load on each of the links.

Mike

Mike

What if you just look at each interface to see the load/packets transmitted and received. Would that not tell you how it was load-balancing the traffic across the links ? You could clear the counters to get a base to start with.

One other thing - what does "sh etherchannel load-balance" show ? From memory i don't think it shows what you want but can't remember to be honest.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious....some times I wonder about my mind and over thinking the obvoius....

As for the command   sh etherchannel load-balance   it just show what Load Balancing method is in use.

I cleared the counters and I will check later.

Thanks for your Help Jon.

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card