Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN Vlan works on router interface?

hxmengmetro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We have one layer 3 switch. Configured monitor session to copy all the data in vlan 2 ports (RX only) to one sniffer port. There is one interface in this switch configured as a router interface. As I know router interface doesn't carry vlan information, but from what I have seen, the packet coming through router interface did get copied to sniffer port. So when the packet comes through router interface, the switch adds vlan 2 tag for that packet if they decide to route it to vlan 2? The SPAN just think it's incoming vlan 2 data, so it copys it to the sniffer port. Am I right?

Thanks.

Lou

1 Reply 1

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You are correct. I guess you are seeing the packet after the packet enters VLAN 2. Typically within the switch, you do not tag the traffic. If the switch decides that the destination is on a different switch and the packet needs to traverse through a trunk interface, then it will attach the tag. If you SPAN the trunk interface as well, then it will send the tag information to the sniffer. You might also see the tag if you configure "encapsulation replicate" in your SPAN configuration.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco