cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 Smart Link

computer.biz
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get RV082 to roll over automatically from WAN1 (cable modem)  to WAN2 (DSL).  When I switch either WAN1 or WAN2 to primary in the system management screen they both function as expected.  But when I unplug WAN1 (cable modem) power or coax cable WAN2 does not take over.  What am I missing?  Thanks, David

6 Replies 6

oliversl1
Level 1
Level 1

Check if you have checked the option for Network Monitoring, also ping an external host and default gateway.

On the System Management  -  Dual-WAN page

I have checked     Smart Link Backup:  Primary  WAN   WAN1

"Enable Network Service Detection".

Retry count:   5.   Retry time out:    10 seconds.

When fail:   "Generate the error condition in the system log".

WAN1 Default Gateway  WAN2 Default Gateway

Instead of checking this option below, please select "Remove the connection" so fail-over will happen. This is documented in the Help page.

When fail:   "Generate the error condition in the system log".

OK, Thanks, I'll try it on site tomarrow.

David

Also, if this doesn't work, you might want to uncheck "Ping default gateway" and instead

check "Ping host address" or "Resolve DNS". I forget the exact terminology. But I've seen cases where if "Ping default gateway" is checked and there is no IP address on the cable modem, the router is STILL able to ping the modem. This makes the router think that the connection is still active and not failover. Instead, if it finds that it can't ping a DNS server such as 208.67.222.222, then it knows there is no connection regardless of the cable modem state.

Thank you, David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: