cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different Enable Passwords

dianewalker
Level 1
Level 1

We are running ASA, IOS 8.0(5) and ASDM version 6.2(3). I just changed the enable password.  When I login using SSH to use CLI, my enable password is the new password.  However, when I login using ASDM, the enable password was the old password.  Is there a way to make both passwords the same?

Thanks.

Diane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rahgovin
Level 4
Level 4

When you log in through ASDM you would be using your username and password present in either the local database or some aaa server(Radius, ldap). When accessing via CLI you should have to give the same credentials first and then will be prompted for enable password. Based on your aaa configuration, that could again be the password present on the ASA or the aaa server.

Are you failing ASDM login using the username password which you are using to login to the cli?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rahgovin
Level 4
Level 4

When you log in through ASDM you would be using your username and password present in either the local database or some aaa server(Radius, ldap). When accessing via CLI you should have to give the same credentials first and then will be prompted for enable password. Based on your aaa configuration, that could again be the password present on the ASA or the aaa server.

Are you failing ASDM login using the username password which you are using to login to the cli?

Thanks for your prompt response, Rahgovin.  I am not able to login through ADSM using the new password.  I have to use the old password to login through ADSM.  When I tried to login to ADSM, it keeps prompting me for the password.  I am using the same credentials for both CLI and ADSM.  I am not sure what I am not doing correctly.  I will check my local database again.  If you don't hear from me, it means I am still having a problem.

Thanks.

Diane

post the show run all aaa from your ASA. So are u able to login into the CLI with new password?

This is how I change the enable password by using CLI.  Now, I am able to login to both CLI and ASDM using the same enable password.

username diane password xxxxxx

Then, press ENTER

Is there more than one way to change the enable password?  I could not remember how I changed the enable password the first time.  I have a memory loss.

Thanks for your help.

Once in config mode on the cli type enable password and press enter.

From ASDM

Select Configuration and then Device Setup

Select Device Name/Password

In the right hand pane for the enable password select the check box to change the password.

But as mentioned by Rahgovin it depends on whether or not your enable password is stored on the ASA or your AAA server.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: