Advice needed on Voicemail

Unanswered Question
Jul 29th, 2010

We have a UK setup of CUCM 6, Unity 4.2 and some remote sites as SRST with Unity Express. Ive just placed an order for another two sites and decided to go for CUCM8. I dont understand why i cannot buy some licences for my 4.2 instalation as its only 2-3 yeas old but never mind. Im already looking at using the 3+3 promo to bring the CUCM 6 to v8 and there is an option to bring unity 4.2 to Unity Connection v 8. This is quite costly especially when i add in the new sites onto the migration costs. To complicate things further, there is a drive to use more and more Microsoft messaging for voicemail etc so we may need to hold off on investment to see if there are any developments there.

So my options are;

1.  Upgrade everything to V8 and pay the upgrade and licence costs for unity connection

2.  Keep the setup as is, that is, use the unity 4.2 until its full and use unity express modules in the remote sites (remote sites are usually small 50-100 users). Then see what Microsoft come up with.

3.  Install a voicemail box like Asterisk to handle voicemail for the new sites.

I have never used Asterisk but hear people rating it and i have heard that this Asterisk for voicemail solution works.

What are your opinions or experiences?

Best wishes

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jonathan Schulenberg Fri, 07/30/2010 - 05:19

I have seen and used Unity, Unity Connections, and Exchange Unified Messaging. All three work and the most mature platform is definitely Unity Connections. Especially when you consider the Unified Messaging Gateway product that allows you to have survivable voicemail at each local site transparently to the users. SRSV and the UMG uses the Unity Express modules and synchronizes user mailboxes between Unity Connections and Express to work during a WAN failure.

This is a Cisco forum and we are all Cisco engineers; as such take anything we say with a grain of salt. The only feature Unity Connections is legitiametly missing, in my opinion, is true single-inbox unified messaging. That will be solved within the next 12 months.

This Discussion