cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MESH and Location

mirek.tichy_2
Level 1
Level 1

Location services are listed under MESH network unsupported features. There is a short notice only in Release Notes. I can't find any other more technical info about that. Did anybody make some tests? What does the unsupported mean? Is it absolutely impossible or it means low or unguaranted RSSI calculation accuracy?

I am interested in a presence monitoring. I want to install some exciters and use the MESH network for tag messages collection and transport only. No real RSSI calculation, only location data from tags reading and transporting to a MSE. Does anybody run this design?

Many thanks.

Mirek

4 Replies 4

Hi Mirek

I have the same question, we are looking into using a MESH network for RFID location tracking... Did you find out if this is possible and if it is, if its supported?  Thanks in advance!

Hi,

we performed a site survey at running MESH network. The area was about 1000 x 500 m, about 10 MESH AP. I tested location of several AeroScout tags. Everyone was detected => the MESH network CAN receive and transport the tag's beacons. But acuracy was approximately 50-100m => the MESH network CAN NOT locate the tags. By my opinion good solution could be GPS RFID which locate themselves. But it was imposible on that site because of explosive enviroment and no ATEX certification for GPS tags. There was 6.0.196 SW.

We left the project so I have no other information.

Hope it helps you a bit.

Hi Mirek

Thanks a lot for your answer.  I have a lot of experience with RFID tracking and I will tell you that for that space (1000x500meters) and only having 10 APs, 50 meters accuracy is what you might expect, it had nothing to do with the fact that the beacons were transporte in the mesh network.

What I'm worried about is that Cisco's Release Notes indicate that LBS is not supported in mesh networks, but I'm not sure if they refer to only the 5 Ghz Backhaul network or any network at all (2,4 Ghz).

Thanks in any case, I will find out through my Cisco Channel.

Best regards

Juan

Hi Juan,

you are definitely right. But the custommer ran the network and there was no will for another investment into the infrastructure. It was a reason we gave up. As you wrote RN indicate that LBS is not supported on MESH AP. It's all. Only one short sentence. No another informations why and which functionality.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card