cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice for GSS design

EPHRAIM MANI
Level 3
Level 3

Please advice as to what records needs to go in Public DNS server in a scenario where i have url say x.y.com which is listed in the Domain List of the GSS-P, sot that GSS-P or GSS-S can handout the respective external VIP to the clients requesting the url in case one of the GSS/site (GSS_P and GSS-S) goes unavailable

Please also specify the communication path of a client accessing x.y.com.

Advice the best practice

Thanks in advance

~EM

12 Replies 12

pefrench
Level 1
Level 1

Most DNS servers support the delegation of subdomain authority.

You have two options to delegate a sub domain to the GSS.

Direct delegation of A record, or delegate using CNAME.

Refer to pages 9-10 of the attached best practice guide.

pefrench , the documnet you provided is very help full. Thanks

the documnet provided is very help full.

Thanks

~EM

Hello Friend,

I am not able to open the document its saying corrupted...

Can you please reupload it....

Regards,

Naren

Re-post of "GSS_1-2_Best_Pratices" doc.

-pefrench

Thank u very much friend.........

Regards,

Naren

Hi Peter,

Helpful document thanks. Can you please share with us the newer version of the GSS document which haves Cisco ACE in it. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Akhtar

Hi Akhtar,

Unfortunately I am not aware that we have an updated 'best practice' document for GSS.  However you can refer to related ACE documentation at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/ace/vA2_3_0/configuration/slb/guide/probe.html#wp1201088

HTH,

-pefrench

totneteng
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new to GSS. I would appreciate if some can help me with the deisgn. I want to know if I need to put the GSS inline after the inernet facing firewall and befor the ACE module. OR use it as one arm mode. Trying to figure out the best fit in the design.

FWSM1 >>> GSS >>> ACE

or

just put the GSS as one arm mode between the FWSM1 >>> ACE

|

GSS

Thanks in advance,

Nav

Hi Nav,

We do not have a set guideline on placement.  We offer some considerations, for example on how to assure proper communication between GSS, if you have multiple units in a deployment. For guidance we do have, please refer to the 'GSS deployment topology'  section in the 'best practice' doc which I previously posted to this thread, and also the product configuration guide which you can find at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/gss4400series/v3.1.1/configuration/cli/gslb/guide/Intro.html#wp1023541

HTH,

-pefrench

Great document "pefrench", thanks for sharing.

I've been delegating subdomains to GSS using CNAME's for several years, but I really need to make the GSS authoritative for an entire domain.

Do you have any links or documents that explains this configuration?

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: