Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP 527w not accessible

Oldhat_NZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently ( three days ago ) purchased a SRP 527w and have been using it in a mixed Mac/Windows network. The setup is currently primarily using defaults apart from enabling logging. While I was still able to access the internet with some applications, accessing web content appears to have blocked after approximately 48 hours uptime.

No web pages using port 80 were available and that included the router web interface. The router would respond to ping only.

Frmware is 1.01.09

On a different note. I have to say that I find it very strange that the supplied documentation doesn't advise setting up the router using the admin login. It was only after reading one of the comments on this site that I was alerted to this security problem. I also find it rather annoying that I appear to have to purchase additional support merely to be able to download firmware updates which are designed to give the device improved functionality. 

Cheers

51 Replies 51

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your feedback - we've had some similar cases raised to what you describe and are actively progressing a solution.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for your prompt response. I have just finished setting back up after a factory reset and will advise how it goes.

As far as the settings go, I am using PPPoA VC type, static DNS settings, wireless and logging enabled. The only change I have made this time is using the preferred wide channel wireless rather than the default 20Mhz.

Network side computers are using Windows XP, Vista 32 and 64 bit, Windows 7 64bit, Mac OSX 10.4.11 and 10.6.4 just in case certain operating systems are having a negative impact.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue. bough this box from ebuyer.com and set up the SRP 527w last Thursday. It has locked up twices in 5 days. The web interface is not accessible, DHCP refused to assign the IP address. Internet is still working though. After done some research, there is a firmware update but requires support agreement.

So far I found quite few major issues:

1. web management interface locked up every few days

2. Once hte system locked up, DHCP refuses to assign IP to clients

3. Multi SSID is not working.

I am about to return to this box to ebuyer if there is no workable solution. I can't belive Cisco product is such rubblish

Thanks

Wongcna

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for providing feedback on this community.

As a quick update:  We have been actively working on this issue, which so far seems to be specific to devices connected to BT wholesale and retail DSL services in the UK.  We have reproduced the issue and are now actively pursuing a root cause.

Andy

Hello Andy,

The ADSL and Internet are working fine. It is web management interface locked up and cannot be accessed. when the web interface locked up, the cisco DHCP server refuse to assign IP address to client. Further to the above issues, the Multi SSID has not worked since out of box .

A quick question from me, if a fix is out, would that be a firmware update? Would that require the technical support aggrement? Is the technical support agreement chargable?

Thanks

Wongcna

A suggestion has been made by one of our local ISPs that a possible cause could be related to the SIP settings.

I have been advised to change a setting in "Voice" for "Line 1" and "Line 2" --> "Restrict Source IP" from the default "No" to "Yes".

Currently there is a fairly large number of scans for incorrectly set up VoIP systems occurring in our neighbourhood and the aggressive nature of the hacks supposedly can result in the router failing to respond on the LAN side.

I have made the above modification to the "Voice" settings and will see if this resolves the issue. As an aside, I don't currently have VoIP setup for my connection, but do have the default settings in this area apart from now having changed the default IVR password and making the above change.

Thanks Simon,

We now know why the device is locking up, but are now actively investigating a root cause.  Based on what we have seen, I'd suggest that the advice you have been given is very good.

A couple more suggestions:

- You could change the port numbers used by the voice ports from the standard 5060/5061

- You could disable the voice lines

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

The .11 gave me an uptime of approximately 10 days before the same issue occurred. Once again the router access on port 80 and 443 was refused as well as no external access on ports 80, 443, 465 and 995 ( ie SSL email ). The router does respond to ping and appears to allow access to the internet for applications using high port ranges.

Doing traceroutes appears to show the SRP as having two interfaces as I have been getting an additional hop that doesn't respond to ping. This would seem to imply that the issue may be related to the LAN interface rather than the WAN as your post surmised due to applications still having internet access.

Also, mentioned by Chun Wong the router DHCP server also stopped assigning IP addresses.

Is it possible to enable ssh access into the router as I noticed that this port is open on the LAN and may be accessible? Just thinking about trying to access the "debug" when something occurs.

Cheers,

Simon

Thanks Simon,

The advice offered by your ISP was good.  Please see the following:

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the update and the link to the screenshots documentation.

I would like to say that it was my ISP, but credit should definitely go to WorldxChange/Xnet as they were the source of the suggestion ;-)

Cheers.

These "workarounds" do not do anything!!

I am sick of excuses with this product. We have sent back all of our routers for RA. After we logged a TAC it was approved and we were credited for all the routers.

It seems with over 6 months since the last firmware release, that this maintenance release doesn't exist or the most useless people @ cisco are on the case.

Is there even an estimated date that we might see the firmware? Or do we have a product that was pushed by product managers again only to perform sub-standardly?

I'd love to actually get a response in 2011

Any solution available as of yet Andrew?

I have followed your other suggestions (Workaround for SRP500 Issues) all to no avail. Well, it's been a week since I had to restart the router but now I'm faced with a different problem.

Whenever I sign into the router using the web GUI, I'm presented with a "Connecting your client device to your network. Please wait..." window. This window remains shown indefinitely even when I restart the browser and login again. I'm unable to do anything when this window is shown. After a long time, I can login as usual again only to be presented with that same window once more. It has something to do with the Wireless Protected Setup or WPS. I did not enable this feature nor use WPS on my WLAN so I'm stumped as to why I'm presented with this annoying persisting message!

Any solutions as of yet Andrew?

Regards

Steven

Guys,

I'd like to thank you for this fix and add that this should really be publicised to the users if the 527w as it's a fairly new product and there isn't much in the way of user comment on the forums.

I've spent the last week dealing with random lock-ups on the 527w and had upgraded the firmware to the latest version in an attempt to resolve this issue without success. My customers had pretty much lost faith in this product at this stage but I'm hoping this fix will resolve the ongoing reliablity issue and restore their confidence in Cisco hardware

Thanks,

Barry

Hi Guys,

I too have just purchased 2 SRP527's and ordered a 521 for a broadband connection, which will have VPN's connected between.

Same issue, just configured them, left the clients sites, got a phone call a couple of hours later to say they cant access anything.

I could still access their server (rdp), but no internet access from the server. Could not access the router from the server, or from remotly. Computers in the network had no internet access either. Got an employee to restart the router, everything fine again. Then a day later the other one did the same thing.

I have disabled the voice, as Simons link suggested. I will do the same when I restart the other one. Fingers crossed....

We are in Australia, using Bigpond as out ISP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: