NSS6000 NT_STATUS_PIPE_DISCONNECTED to WIN2008r2

Unanswered Question
Jul 30th, 2010
User Badges:

I have an NSS6000 that not worked with DC WIN2008r2. Early was WIN2003r2 and all was fine. After migration to WIN2008r2 we have problems with shares. Users can't connect to NSS. Below errors in samba log:

rpc_api_pipe: Remote machine pdc.elfa.int pipe \NETLOGON fnum  0x400breturned critical error. Error was NT_STATUS_PIPE_DISCONNECTED

Failed to verify incoming ticket with error NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE!

Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

I have the same problem and finally after a bit of googling I came across this bug report which shows that the issue has been fixed in samba3x:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=561325

Seems like everyone that upgraded Samba to this version saw the error dissapear and were working fine with Windows 2008 R2 domains. Now the question is, is there any way to upgrade Samba on the NSS6000 and if not, what is the best way to get Cisco to push out an updated firmware with the new version? I think I'll go and log a support request now and reference this thread.

The funny part with my current situation is that I have actually managed to get Windows machines connected to my CIFS shares but I cannot get *nix machines to connect. Must be something to do with the way Samba clients authenticate and Samba servers pass that authentication through to AD.

jasbryan Thu, 03/17/2011 - 06:13
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Hi All

The NSS6000 units are not compatible with the new windows 2008 servers they were only compatible with 03. There isn't a way to upgrade the samba client on these unit. You will need to go with our new units , the NSS322,NSS324,NSS326  You can also go and use our trade in program to get some case value for the legacy units. You will really enjoy these new units, There no comparison to older NSS6000 device. These New units can be WEB Servers,FTP Servers, iTunes Server, Multimedia server, Upnp server(aka twonky server), iSCSI, VM ready,Syslog server, Radius Server (only allow ten accounts)and you can add third party applications also; this is just scratching the surface. I would check out these new units below

Models

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/storage/nss300/index.html-tab-Models

Trade up program

http://www.ciscorebateprogram.com/

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Hi Jason,

Can you please provide a brief technical explaination of why Samba cannot be upgraded on the NSS6000 units. I cannot see why it would be a problem. Surely the firmware update system provides the ability to install new versions of components and/or download updates to the software running on the NAS. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem with the specs on the device as I'm sure any version or Samba would be fine to run on most hardware. Is it something to do with the way things are configured and it's too much work to make it work with the new Samba?

I don't really see "You will have to go buy a new NAS" as a good solution. This NAS has basically brought nothing but problems since we bought it. Even with a trade in, I really cannot justify buying a newer one. Especially if this is the sort of answers Cisco has to fairly basic problems. I have found heaps of threads about this issue and in all cases it was fixed with a simple software update. Usually a single command (ie sudo apt-get upgrade).

Is there any way to enable SSH/telnet access on the device so that I can have a more detailed look at the problem?

Regards,

Lukas

jasbryan Mon, 03/21/2011 - 15:16
User Badges:

Lukas,

Sorry that i can't provide you with the technical explaination on why since im not the software engineer of these units. I can tell you that with Gui access there isn't any way to enable SSH/Telent access for modifying or adding features in the linux code. Since this box is EOL they will not be releaseing any firmware updates for this unit.

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

Hi Jason,

Not to be a smartass, but if you are not able to give me the technical reasoning for why it can't be done, then how did you come to the conclusion that it can't be done? Did you consult the software engineer that looks after these units to discuss it with them? If so, why can't you ask them to provide more information on why it can't be done.

You mentioned that there will be no further firmware upgrades for the product as it is EOL, however support for the product does not end until January 31, 2013 as per:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps4159/ps9954/ps9957/end_of_life_notice_c51-608747.html

Also the last firmware released for the product was about 2 weeks ago on the 9th March 2011 so obviously someone at the company is still working on these devices:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414045&flowid=5201&softwareid=282465472&release=1.21.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

All I ask is that this problem is investigated properly and handed to the right department rather than your initial response of 'go buy a new one'. From the outside, this seems like a very easy problem to resolve and it would allow the existing customers who own these devices to continue to use them for many years to come until they burn out rather than having to trade them in.

Regards,

Lukas

jasbryan Tue, 03/22/2011 - 06:09
User Badges:

Lukas,

I don't know anything else to tell you beside, as a support engineer we have been told that windows server 2008 isn't a support OS for this box. As of them releasing new firmware for this unit, mostly likely means they must had outstanding bugs and just now have been able to get a fix or release firmware. In release notes of just released firmware is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/nass/csbcdp/nss/nss4000_nss6000/release/notes/NSS4000_6000_V1.21_RN_OL-24526.pdf

Although this feature is working, Cisco does not fully support joining the NSS to

the Windows Active Directory Server (ADS) in a Windows Server 2008

environment. This workaround only applies to a single user. (CSCsw93385)

What i was suggesting in my first post, is if you want a fully support NSS box that is compatible for windows servers 2008 then you will need to go with NSS300 Series devices.

Thanks

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer