WRV200 problem - sig strength stable but speeds fluctuate heavily

Unanswered Question
Jul 30th, 2010
User Badges:

So I set up a WRV200 router and updated to latest firmware (1.0.39 I believe), reset to factory settings and set up router again. There are three computers connecting to the wireless and they all share the same problem: the signal strength is fine (always on strong and 5/5 bars)  but the speed keeps fluctuating between 1.0 and 54.0 mbps. This is very noticeable when downloading and surfing the web. Wired connection hasn't displayed any problems (yet) but we bought this one for its wireless capabilities.

I scanned surrounding networks to see what channel they were broadcasting at and set ours to channel 4 - all the others were at least two channels away from that. However problem still continues. Even as I am posting this message the speed has been as high as 48.0 and as low as 5.5 mbps. What can I do?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jgadbois Tue, 08/03/2010 - 09:50
User Badges:

Martin,

Generally, moving two channels away from another broadcasting AP won't reduce the possibly of interference.  As you may know, there are only three non-overlapping channels - 1,6,11.  Setting you channel number to one of them ensures that you will not interfer with others set on the other two.  But if someone is on your channel (or in between) you run the risk of overalpping and interference.

I take it you are not moving through the environment when you see the speeds flutuate.  Obviously, your computers are downshifting and this could be due to a high noise level.  Do you see the downshift even though you are quite near the wrv200?

Jim

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network