cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pim sparse source register problem

tacoramajon
Level 1
Level 1

ive got a pair of routers with an OSPF and PIM adjacency between them and two workstations on either side.  I'm trying to push multicast video across them using vlc as a source on one workstation and a reciever on the other.  I cannot use anything other than PIM sparse ASM, and I choose to use a staticly configured RP on both routers. I can see the reciever 'igmp join', but the source never seems to register for the group. show ip mroute has the correct out going interfaces on both routers and the correct incoming int on the second router but the incoming interface on the first router is null. Is there something im missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon,

Did you check the TTL is 5 on the packet using wireshark because I had a problem where VLC was always sending packets with TTL=1 even after setting it to >1 in the software.

Just my 2 cents.

JayaKrisha

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jon,

If your multicast config is correct then try to raise the TTL on the server side of the vlc to 2 or 3 and test again.

HTH

Reza

Reza, the TTL count is 5, im just a little unsure about my configs so ive attached them and a simple diagram of what im trying to do. I welcome any help you or anyone else could provide.

Jon,

Did you check the TTL is 5 on the packet using wireshark because I had a problem where VLC was always sending packets with TTL=1 even after setting it to >1 in the software.

Just my 2 cents.

JayaKrisha

Thank you,

It seems that vlc user interface has been broken for some time now in regards to TTL - i correctly invoked it via command line and the TTL is correct, validating my test.

Thanks,

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco