Views
Helpful
Replies

Script advice

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm putting together an extremely basic script that acts as a call handler (not doing it in Unity, long story).  It's a single greeting that gives people 8 options.  Only thing is, I need to be able to give me the option of dialing an extension at any time.  Does that mean that I need to break up the structure in two separate sections, one that plays a prompt to enter extension at any time with a "get digit string" piece, than, failing that, go to a menu that will present the 8 options?  Is there a better way to do this?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

It is far better to be explicit these days - give them an option. "If you know your party's extension, please press 1". Then in that processing, handle it easily.

If the customer is requesting that the prompt be the same as the old one, try to talk them out of it. Explicit option is far better - easier to handle extension length checks, easier to translate to ASR and so on.

Regards,

Goeff

View solution in original post

With the Menu option you can achieve this, you just need to set in the prompt tab, to be interruptible.

Gabriel

Edit:  Sorry I didn't read the part that says "dialing an extension at any time". So you will need to use the get digit string step, the input length would be the length of your extensions. Then use in the success step the call redirect to that extensión, for the menu option I usually use the timeout branch where I put a switch step or an if step.    getDigit = Get Digit String    Success       call redirect (getDigit)    Timeout       Switch          "1" --->call redirect "TI department"    For example

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

geoff
Level 10
Level 10

It is far better to be explicit these days - give them an option. "If you know your party's extension, please press 1". Then in that processing, handle it easily.

If the customer is requesting that the prompt be the same as the old one, try to talk them out of it. Explicit option is far better - easier to handle extension length checks, easier to translate to ASR and so on.

Regards,

Goeff

Good advice.  Okay, thanks for confirming some thought processes with me, much appreciated

With the Menu option you can achieve this, you just need to set in the prompt tab, to be interruptible.

Gabriel

Edit:  Sorry I didn't read the part that says "dialing an extension at any time". So you will need to use the get digit string step, the input length would be the length of your extensions. Then use in the success step the call redirect to that extensión, for the menu option I usually use the timeout branch where I put a switch step or an if step.    getDigit = Get Digit String    Success       call redirect (getDigit)    Timeout       Switch          "1" --->call redirect "TI department"    For example