Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone +E.164 Dialing Support

neil.legada
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

We are implementing a UCM 7.1 cluster that integrates with AD. The telephone numbers within AD are formatted as +E.164 (i.e. +14085264000).

We have issues trying to have users directly dial these numbers from their phone. A translation pattern have been setup to remove the + sign but still calls would fail.

Is there some limitations that IP phone aren't able to dial +E.164 formatted numbers? Directory Lookup Rules are not of much help as well.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks and kind regards
Neil

10 Replies 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming you are running a recent SCCP load on the phones, the translation pattern should work.   I know in older phone loads, especially SIP there were problems with this.

Use the Dialed Number Analyzer tool in the serviceability page to verify the call flow.  If that checks out, investigate what exactly is happening in the CCM traces.

Directory Dial Rules do not apply to corporate directory on the IP Phone.  That is only for third party apps which need to resolve a name given a number.

HTH

Thanks for response.

Did run DNA and the translation pattern is matching the correct path. On CCM traces, couldn't seem to find the dialed number.

I have so far tested on CIPC and older 7940 phones. You may be right about the older firmware. I am waiting for a colleague to bring in newer 79x2 phones and run the test again.

Kind regards,

Neil

Just to add to your comment - E164 dial pattern is only supported on Gen3 phones. So, yes it will work on a 7942 but not on CIPC.

Please rate useful posts.

Update.

I looked at the CCM traces again and found that the digits received from the phones doesn't include the '+' sign the reason that the translation pattern is not matched thus failing the call.

7940's are sending the dialed digits BTW.

I'll test again with 79x2's and see what happens.

This is the enhancement request for CIPC

CSCsv63788            Bug Details

CIPC E.164 "+" is NOT supported.

Symptom:

Cannot place International phone calls  prefix with a plus sign (+).

Conditions:

Numbers  written with a plus sign (+) before the phone number.

Workaround:

None.   Not yet supported.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for all the feedback.

Kind regards,

Neil

neil.legada
Level 1
Level 1

Folks,

Confirmed, +E.164 Dialing works with 7942/62 phones.

pravfern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Folks,

I too am facing with the same issue where I need to truncate the +70xxxxx, but the translation pattern doesnot accept the

"+" sign. Do we have document or configuration steps to achieve this.

Hi

You need to enter it as \+ I think.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Anonymous
Not applicable

For pattern matching you will need to include \ before the + as an escape character.  + (without the \)is considered a wildcard and cannot be at the beginning of a pattern. 

Your translation pattern should be \+70XXXXX

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: