Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upgrade on 2960G switch

mhabeeb_ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts,

I have a basic trouble in setting up TFTP server. I need to upgrade the IOS on 2960G cat switch. First I have downloaded the tftp server on my laptop then I assigned an IP address manually in my laptop as 10.1.1.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 leaving deafult gateway address as none. Then I moved to the 2960G switch and created a new interface vlan10 then assigned the IP address as 10.1.1.10 with subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. Next I used interface gig0/1 interface and said switchport access vlan 10, duplex and speed setting set as auto. I am able to ping from host towards the vlan ip address 10.1.1.10 but from switch i m unable to ping. I ran debug icmp and debug ip packet command but nothing was traced what the issue is. The interface status shows up up and vlan interface status shows up up, i checked the windows firwall settings, its in off state. I think there is something minor error I am doing. Can anyone help me out in finding the solution.

I followed the above procedure to upgrade the IOS from my laptop, please let me know if there is any other way that I can upload the IOS image.

Regards,

Mohammed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Happens all the time :). We tend to overlook one of those software apps that

are running the background. Glad that issue is fixed.

Please mark the question as answered so others can use it in the future.

Regards,

NT

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Try giving an ip address to the switch with default gateway and vlan.

switch(config)#ip add x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

switch(config)#ip default-gateway

switch(config)#ip add vlan x

I think , you need management interface on the switch in case of 2960, experts here can also comment.

thanks

Manish

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Most likely your laptop has firewall set. Please disable Windows/other

firewall on the laptop and try again. It should work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Hi Nag,

I already disable the windows firewall settings in my laptop as commented earlier.

Manish,

let me try with default gateway ip address

Hello,

Do you have any Anti-virus software installed on the laptop? Also, if you

have a second interface (like wireless) disable it and try.

Regards,

NT

jean.moncada
Level 1
Level 1

strange that the 2960G can't ping the laptop but the laptop can ping the 2960G.

Are you sure you don't have that ip address 10.1.1.10 configured on the laptop as well by mistake either on the loopback or on another interface or as a secondary ip on your laptop int. ipconfig /all should tell you but you probably checked that out already.

can you post the ipconfig /all

and the output from the 2960 of

sh ip int brief

also the config of the 2960 shouldn't hurt. Makes no sense why you can't ping the laptop from the switch, from the post seems you did everything correct in regards to your layer 2 2960 switch.

Hi Jean,

Well I don't have any other subnet configured in my laptop, even i tried to used the different subnet 192.168.10.10 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 but the result is same. I am attaching the config file of the switch with ping statistics and sh ip int brief status. Also I am attaching my laptop statistics file in which you will find the ipconfig /all and ping statistics.

Awaiting for your response.

Regards

Can you telnet into the switch at 192.168.10.10 from your laptop ?

manish

Hello,

Do you have any kind of antivirus/anti-spyware software installed? Can you try a different workstation?

Regards,

NT

No I am not able to telnet into the switch.

Yes Symantec antivirus protection is enabled in my laptop. I cannot turned it off because its enterprise edition and centrally managed.

I am able to ping to the 3750 switch. I have uploaded the IOS from my laptop on 3750 switch without any issues. But when I am trying with 2950 I have this issue.

Please try configuring an ip address to vlan 1 , have a default gateway configured on a global configuration mode. then assign a port to vlan 1.  also , mention default gateway on you laptop. I have read a few documents from cisco and for a 2960 each of them is suggesting to have  a management interface configured on the vlan 1.

http://web.nmsu.edu/~jbeasley/Cisco_Discovery_4-1/courses/en0500000000/en0505000000/en0505050000/en0505050400/en0505050405/cm8572509551/lab.pdf

thanks

Manish

jean.moncada
Level 1
Level 1

Doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with the confis on your switch.

Also you don't need to have vlan1 configured with and ip address or no shutdown mode just to be able to setup this type of configuration, its not like you have a trunk configured and sending vtp updates etc... I recommend using the ping extended commands on your 2960, perhaps the 2960 is trying to use a different interface as the source (even though i only see one ip address configured on your 2960 but its worth a shot) So lets make sure ping is using the correct interface with ip 192.168.10.10 on the CLI of the 2960 just type "ping" and hit enter you will be prompted with a few questions and answer them as follows

Switch#ping

Protocol [ip]:

Target IP address: 192.168.10.11

Repeat count [5]:

Datagram size [100]:

Timeout in seconds [2]:

Extended commands [n]: y

Source address or interface: 192.168.10.10

Type of service [0]:

Set DF bit in IP header? [no]:

Validate reply data? [no]:

Data pattern [0xABCD]:

Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]:

Sweep range of sizes [n]:

Hopefully you would get some replies...

if not I recommend

1) changing cables (straight through cable)

2) changing ports

since everything looks fine on the switch and laptop base on your attachments.

oh yeah one more thing,

if the laptop is really pinging the 2960 we should see the laptop mac address on the 2960 mac-address-table.

so you should from the laptop ping 192.168.10.10

then on the switch do a

sh mac-address-table

you should see the laptops's mac address coming from gi0/1

if its not there then your laptop is pinging something else ???

or you can also verify from the laptop

you can do a

arp -a

on your laptop and you should see the Mac address that was given to vlan99 a

sh int vlan99

should tell you the mac address assigned.

once again this is all based on the configuration files you provided as attachments.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

As one of the previous writers noted, you do not have a default gateway for the 2960

that needs to be first.

I'm assuming that it is connected to the 3750. If so you may need an IP helper address

for tftp to work,

see the atttached link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swipaddr.html

The 2960 doesn't need a default gateway. He is running a tftp service off his laptop wich is directly connected to the 2960 so that he could upgrade the ios. The 2960 and laptop are on the same subnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: