cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connections 7.x platform

techguy73
Level 1
Level 1

I wonder which version of Unity Connections is good and stable on a 7.x platform. Any helpful tips/hints to consider h/w and s/w is appreciated. Please share your experience and recommendation.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So the first question - why 7.1(3b)SU2?  Well, I think you'll find that on many forum posts myself and others have weighed in on this as being a solid, stable version of code.  It's been out a while and I've deployed it in customer environments with great success.  7.1(4) was immediately deffered so hence, 7.1(5) is the next option.  This is an interesting version of code.  It contains bug fixes, yes, but it is also a code where some features from 8x are being pushed into 7x code.  So, I've never been a big fan of these sort of "bridge" codes as they are sometimes referred to.  You have bugs being fixed from previous versions but potential bugs being introduced from later versions.  This isn't necessarily a bad option for code - I just don't recommend it right now.  In addition, 7.1(5) limits your upgrade options.  With 7.1(5), you cannot upgrade to an 8.0 release of UC.  Instead, you'd have to wait to get to 8.5.  So if you run into a bug or find something you want in 8.0, things can get tricky.  So, that's the main reasons I'd say go with 7.1(3)bSU2.

You cannot install 7.1(3b)SU2 directly.  You would have to install a base version such as 7.0, 7.1(2), or 7.1(3) from DVD and then choose to install the SR/patch for the exact version you're going to.  7.1(3b)SU2 is essentially ES26 for 7.1(3).  You can download the patch from Cisco and then either apply the upgrade during the initial install (the system still loads the base code for the DVD you have, reboots and then lets you install the patch) OR you can install the DVD version in full and apply the patch afterwards.  The main difference is that when you patch during install, the system recognizes the patch version as the first version to be installed (i.e., your active partition will be 7.1.3bSU2 and the inactive partition will not be set until you do another patch or upgrade to the system).  So, it is like a direct install...but you need an intermediate media (DVD) to get you to a point where you can install the patch.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Justin Brenton
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Cisco CUCM and Unity Connection 7.1(3) has some upgrades that would serve well.  CUCM 7.1(3) support's the new generations of 2900 series routers.

You can find a list of fixes in the release note's.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/release/notes/713cucrn.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_1_3/cucm-rel_notes-713.html

HTH, If so please vote below

Regards,

Justin

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I recommend 7.1(3b)SU2 for Unity Connection (and CUCM).  As for hardware, your only option is to go with the MCS IBM servers.  I wouldn't go lower than 7825 and from there, it depends on how big you intend the user base to be.  Your other alternative is VMWare on the UC on UCS blade servers; however, whether or not that is a good decision for you depends on how skilled you are with virtualization as well as Unified Communications.

Hailey

Thank you for your replies. Can I directly install 7.1.3b from the scratch on a new server, or do I have to have the base version, e.g. 7.1.3 installed first?

So the first question - why 7.1(3b)SU2?  Well, I think you'll find that on many forum posts myself and others have weighed in on this as being a solid, stable version of code.  It's been out a while and I've deployed it in customer environments with great success.  7.1(4) was immediately deffered so hence, 7.1(5) is the next option.  This is an interesting version of code.  It contains bug fixes, yes, but it is also a code where some features from 8x are being pushed into 7x code.  So, I've never been a big fan of these sort of "bridge" codes as they are sometimes referred to.  You have bugs being fixed from previous versions but potential bugs being introduced from later versions.  This isn't necessarily a bad option for code - I just don't recommend it right now.  In addition, 7.1(5) limits your upgrade options.  With 7.1(5), you cannot upgrade to an 8.0 release of UC.  Instead, you'd have to wait to get to 8.5.  So if you run into a bug or find something you want in 8.0, things can get tricky.  So, that's the main reasons I'd say go with 7.1(3)bSU2.

You cannot install 7.1(3b)SU2 directly.  You would have to install a base version such as 7.0, 7.1(2), or 7.1(3) from DVD and then choose to install the SR/patch for the exact version you're going to.  7.1(3b)SU2 is essentially ES26 for 7.1(3).  You can download the patch from Cisco and then either apply the upgrade during the initial install (the system still loads the base code for the DVD you have, reboots and then lets you install the patch) OR you can install the DVD version in full and apply the patch afterwards.  The main difference is that when you patch during install, the system recognizes the patch version as the first version to be installed (i.e., your active partition will be 7.1.3bSU2 and the inactive partition will not be set until you do another patch or upgrade to the system).  So, it is like a direct install...but you need an intermediate media (DVD) to get you to a point where you can install the patch.

Hailey

Great response, David, thanks a lot!. +5 for you.