cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Limiting the Size of Priority Queue

Jcotter001_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have been wondering if it is possible to enable the EGRESS priority queue on an interface AND also limit the bandwidth used by that queue. Assume I would like to limit the priority queue to 25% of interface bandwidth for the purpose of this discussion.

Documentation is clear that srr-queue shape and share values are ignored if the priority queue is enabled.  There is a priority queue bandwidth command for the INGRESS queue  but not the EGRESS.  Can I accomplish this by limiting the buffer space  to 25% for queue 1?  Use the drop threshold configuration to drop at 25% of buffer space?  Is this even possible?  If so please advise the best way to accomplish this.  Thank you.

1 Reply 1

Jayakrishna Mada
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The answer is NO. you cannot have priority queue enabled and give the Q only 25% bandwidth.

When Priority Q is enabled the Q gets 100% bandwidth. If there are any packets in the Q all those packets will be serviced before getting to the other queues.

you can use  "mls qos queue-set output qset-id threshold queue-id drop-threshold1 drop-threshold2 reserved-threshold maximum-threshold" command only set the buffer size and/or threshold and it has not nothing to do with bandwidth.

Hope that helps.

JayaKrishna

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card