cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 867W router & DSL connection question

InsightsFP704
Level 1
Level 1

In purchasing this router,  I was told that since we had a “DSL modem” that the Cisco 867W Integrated Services Model was the correct one vs. the 861W model. My question is regarding just the basic setup of the new router to my CenturyTel/Embarq (local phone company’s) modem. The set up in our equipment room is the following: the DSL/telephone line (RJ-11) runs from the wall outlet into the input on the high speed modem; then the output from the modem is an RJ-45 port. (I used to connect the RJ45 over to the Linksys BESFX41 router). The new 867W came with a DSL cable ( I am assuming it to be a RJ12) and when I connect this from the ADSLoPOTS Port into the modem’s RJ45 it “clicks” into place; however I am not confident  that this is the correct connection and if this could potentially cause harm to the modem or router? (there is no RJ45/or other WAN connection on this router only an Auxiliary/console RJ45 inlet)

If I cannot continue with using the RJ12 cabling thru to the modem, is there any other connection that I could do to make this router work without compromising connectivity or should I return this router and get a different one? If so, is the 861W which would be the broadband/cable model best choice?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Becky,

Cisco 867W has an ADSL port so to use it you should connect the RJ-11 cable coming from the provider to it, you cannot connect it downstream to existing modem using the DSL WAN interface, because it is not an ethernet port but an ethernet port.

You may connect a LAN port to the RJ45 port of the modem you should configure it in a different Vlan in order to act as external interface.

However, as you have noted, If you want to keep using the existing modem, you should move to a different router model like C861.

see datasheet with 861 and 867 models

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_461543.html

to be noted C867 DSL interface supports ADSL 2/2+ (Annex A) that may improve your DSL performance if your current modem supports only ADSL version 1. But troubles have been reported in UK with ADSL 2+ and some cisco devices (The issue should be UK specific)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Becky,

Cisco 867W has an ADSL port so to use it you should connect the RJ-11 cable coming from the provider to it, you cannot connect it downstream to existing modem using the DSL WAN interface, because it is not an ethernet port but an ethernet port.

You may connect a LAN port to the RJ45 port of the modem you should configure it in a different Vlan in order to act as external interface.

However, as you have noted, If you want to keep using the existing modem, you should move to a different router model like C861.

see datasheet with 861 and 867 models

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78_461543.html

to be noted C867 DSL interface supports ADSL 2/2+ (Annex A) that may improve your DSL performance if your current modem supports only ADSL version 1. But troubles have been reported in UK with ADSL 2+ and some cisco devices (The issue should be UK specific)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

sugarpaddy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Becky

It sounds like you need to setup a DSL connection from one of your fastethernet ports(RJ45) on your 867w router to your telco's box(RJ45) which is not an easy task if you are not familiar with Cisco devices . Maybe the router is already configured and setup? I would contact your  telco and ask for more information and ask them to send you a pre-configured device. The 861W is a good model router and it will work for your needs but you also need to know how to configure it. Also the 861w has got a DSL/POTs port which is where your RJ11/12 cable can connect to and you can bypass the telco equipment and plug the other end into the wall again though this needs configuring. Hope this helps!

Martin

THANK YOU for you input! In the end we returned the router and purchased the other model Cisco 861

- it is installed and working great!

Fahad Wasi
Level 1
Level 1

Becky,

DSL cable is your telephone line cable? Please note that RJ 11 is a port where you plug in your telephone line and RJ 45 is the port where you plug in your ethernet cable. Your DSL Modem has few ethernet(RJ 45)ports where you have to plug in your ethernet cables and it has 1 or 2 RJ11 Ports where you plug in your telephone line. When you plug in your telephone line into the RJ 11 port of the DSL modem make sure it is properly connected to the

wall outlet. Now simply take the ethernet cable(CAT 5 or 6) and plug 1 end of that cable into the RJ 45(Ethernet Port) of the Modem and plug its other end into the Routers (WAN port). If your Router has an internet port instead of WAN port then plug the other end of the same ethernet cable in it.

The vendors usually give an extra DSL cable along with Router ,incase if you donot have a DSL cable connecting your Modem with Wall Outlet,so you can use the provided one.

But before doing all this,you have to make sure you have done the correct TCP/IP configuration in your Router.

You have to access the firmware of your Router to do the configuration.

I hope this helps,

If you have any further questions please donot hesitate to post them here.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card