Meetingplace migration from 5.4 to 8.x

Unanswered Question
Aug 2nd, 2010

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Hi experts,

We are planning to migrate our MeetingPlace 5.4 to 8.0. I have following components ..

1)      Web server in DMZ

2)      Web server Internal

3)      Directory server (MPDS)

4)      MP 8106

I am using web scheduling , data conferencing and audio meetings.

As we know migration is very time consuming , I wanted to understand what are all your thoughts about the migration process I am planning as per Cisco’s documentation.

Buy new hardware for MP 7.x which should be compatible with MP 8.0. Install 7.x and test it in lab environment and test the functionalities . After this take a downtime and upgrade your 5.4 MP to 6.0 MR5 (I think 2 steps one to 6.0 then next to MR5). Export all the required data from MP6.0MR5 and implement it on 7.0.2 new MeetingPlace system. Test all the components like web , directory integration users profiles, future meetings and group on 7.x.

On 7.x I will  have one application server , one web server ,Media server 3545 and install WebEx node for MCS.

Upgrade the mp 7.x to 8.x (application, media and mp web server)

Since there is architectural change in MP 8.0, we will need Web ex node for MCS for data conferencing and scheduling. In this case since we have been using the MP scheduling and web conferencing, as per Cisco documentation we have option to keep our MP web as front end for web scheduling and conferencing in 8.x. But all the meetings will be actually scheduled on WebEx Node for MCS on backend.

Here are my few question:

1)      In old architecture there are no charges for any internal or external web conferencing, but it looks in 8.x WebEx data conferencing and scheduling is chargeable (monthly basis) is it correct ?

2)      Are MeetingPlace 7.x and 8.0 is compatible with exchange 2010 and outlook 2010 for email integration ?

3)      Will inside webex node for MCS fulfill our external conferencing and scheduling requirements. I think externally users will see the webex data conferencing and webex scheduling page instead of MP web. Is it correct?

4)      Should I plan different approach for the complete deployement?

Thanks

rawat

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jonathan Schulenberg Mon, 08/02/2010 - 08:58
In old architecture 
there are no charges for any internal or external web conferencing, but 
it looks in 8.x WebEx  data conferencing and scheduling is 
chargeable (monthly basis) is it correct ?

Correct, in MeetingPlace 8.0 and beyond you need to have an active WebEx MeetingCenter (or Enterprise) contract. This contract involves a monthly fee for the web conferencing portion. The only exception is for those customers with high security requirements that the WebEx SAS 70 compliance is not sufficient for. If you fall into that category you need to speak with your Cisco AM.

Are MeetingPlace 7.x and 8.0 is compatible with exchange 2010 and 
outlook 2010 for email integration ?

Current documentation only lists Exchange 2007 SP1: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Unified_MeetingPlace_Release_8.0_--_System_Requirements_for_Cisco_Unified_MeetingPlace_Release_8.0#Microsoft_Exchange_Server

Will inside webex node for MCS fulfill our external conferencing and scheduling requirements. I think externally users will see the webex data conferencing and webex scheduling page instead of MP web. Is it correct?

No. The WebEx Node for MCS is only used for Internal Ports web meeting ports which are restricted to corporate users on your internal corporate network. All external participants (those joining from outside the firewall) must join using the WebEx SaaS cloud. These users will consume External Ports. You cannot mix the legacy MeetingPlace scheduling with WebEx scheduling; it is one or the other system-wide.

Should I plan different approach for the complete deployement?

My recommondation is to decide whether you want a WebEx contract or not. If not, you need to stay on MeetingPlace 7. If you do, then I suggest using WebEx scheduling which results in a far simpler deployment model. MeetingPlace scheduling is being kept only to ease the transition for existing customers, it is not the product strategy going forward.

bhupenderr Mon, 08/02/2010 - 13:48

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much ! I really appreciate that you took some your time to read and answer my concerns. Yes we need internal and external web scheduling as well as web conferencing feature (we need to decide for 7.x and 8.x . Now may be I will try to convince my management for 7.x only)

1) I don't see Cisco ever posted exchange & outlook 2010 compatibility with

MeetingPlace version 7.x or 8.x., have you seen these version running well on exchange and outlook 2010 environment anywhere?

2) One of my friend told that upgrading from 5.4 to 6.0MR5 then to 7.x then to 8.x can be very time consuming and you may come across multiple bugs and issues. Any idea on this ?

3) Another non preferred deployment method that I can think as a last option is implement and test 8.x for internal and external web conferencing and then force users to start using the MP 8.x for future meeting than MP 5.4.

Jonathan Schulenberg Mon, 08/02/2010 - 14:08
Yes we need internal and external web scheduling as well as web 
conferencing feature (we need to decide for 7.x and 8.x . Now may be I 
will try to convince my management for 7.x only)

You need to be more careful with your terms and product versions. Scheduling is an independant operation from the web meeting room. You can use the legacy MeetingPlace scheduling and related tools; or, WebEx scheduling and the WebEx tools in MP8. Regardless of which scheduling option you choose, you will be required to use WebEx web meeting resources. The concept of internal/external only applies to web meeting resources - not scheduling - if you have a WebEx Node for MCS; otherwise, all web meeting resources are external in the SaaS cloud.

1) I don't see Cisco ever posted exchange & outlook 2010 
compatibility with MeetingPlace version 7.x or 8.x., have you seen
 these version running well on exchange and outlook 2010 environment 
anywhere?

I have not seen this included in any documentation for MeetingPlace scheduling tools. You can send a question to your Cisco AM to inquire if this is currently on the roadmap. I have not bothered to call WebEx to see if Outlook 2010 is supported yet. That's an easy call to make though.

2) One of my friend told that upgrading from 5.4 to 6.0MR5 then to 7.x 
then to 8.x can be very time consuming and you may come across multiple 
bugs and issues. Any idea on this ?

Yes, it can be quite time consuming especially with the platform change. You will need to decide how much change your users will tolerate. It is easiest for you to just do a clean install of the version you choose and tell users to start using the new system. If this isn't acceptable in your environment, you will need to go the long way.

Actions

This Discussion