Replies

Question about adding Network to BGP

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

If I add the following to

router bgp 65004

adding this>>> network 10.1.23.0 mask 255.255.255.0

Will it cause any notwork disruption or cause BGP to re-converge?

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

It shouldn't cause your BGP sessions to reestablish or reconverge.  It should only cause BGP to begin announcing 10.1.23.0/24 to BGP peers as long as this route is in your route-table learned from an IGP or as a connected or static route.  'show ip bgp' will reveal if it's in the bgp table.

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

It shouldn't cause your BGP sessions to reestablish or reconverge.  It should only cause BGP to begin announcing 10.1.23.0/24 to BGP peers as long as this route is in your route-table learned from an IGP or as a connected or static route.  'show ip bgp' will reveal if it's in the bgp table.

Chris

It is not in the BGP table. I will also be adding the following..... ip route 10.1.23.0 255.255.255.0 GigabitEthernet0/0

Mike

You'll be good to go then.  Once the static route and the BGP network statement are in you can do a 'soft' reset to propagate the route quicker; or just wait.

clear ip bgp * soft

This wont cause any service disruption.  confirm the route is in the route-table, then confirm it's in the BGP table.  In order to confirm it's getting to a particular BGP peer use the following:

show ip bgp neighbors x.x.x.x advertised-routes

Chris

Thanks for your help. Thought it would be fine but I don't do that much with routing and I wanted to be sure.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card