Replies

Question about adding Network to BGP

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

If I add the following to

router bgp 65004

adding this>>> network 10.1.23.0 mask 255.255.255.0

Will it cause any notwork disruption or cause BGP to re-converge?

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

It shouldn't cause your BGP sessions to reestablish or reconverge.  It should only cause BGP to begin announcing 10.1.23.0/24 to BGP peers as long as this route is in your route-table learned from an IGP or as a connected or static route.  'show ip bgp' will reveal if it's in the bgp table.

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

It shouldn't cause your BGP sessions to reestablish or reconverge.  It should only cause BGP to begin announcing 10.1.23.0/24 to BGP peers as long as this route is in your route-table learned from an IGP or as a connected or static route.  'show ip bgp' will reveal if it's in the bgp table.

Chris

It is not in the BGP table. I will also be adding the following..... ip route 10.1.23.0 255.255.255.0 GigabitEthernet0/0

Mike

You'll be good to go then.  Once the static route and the BGP network statement are in you can do a 'soft' reset to propagate the route quicker; or just wait.

clear ip bgp * soft

This wont cause any service disruption.  confirm the route is in the route-table, then confirm it's in the BGP table.  In order to confirm it's getting to a particular BGP peer use the following:

show ip bgp neighbors x.x.x.x advertised-routes

Chris

Thanks for your help. Thought it would be fine but I don't do that much with routing and I wanted to be sure.

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card